Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will it get reported in the local newspaper?

(5 Posts)
Lindax Fri 29-Aug-08 22:59:44

Hopfully someone will know answer to this one......my 14yr old niece will be going to court in the coming weeks. Her mums ex-BF has been charged with "lurid behaviour towards a minor". Is this likely to be reported in the local newspapers court news? I'm pretty sure they wont mention her name as she is underage, but if they mention his and the small village they live in its will be pretty obvious to anyone who reads it who it is?

I know she's got nothing to be ashamed of as she is a victim, but, she would rather school friends didnt know what happened. If it wont happen dont want to worry her about it, if it may happen want her to be prepared (as you know some children can be quite cruel).

Any ideas?

someoneelsenow Sat 30-Aug-08 18:15:19

You're right that she won't be named - the law forbids the naming of any victims of sexual offences whether underage or adults.

There'd be no automatic ban on naming him though - I suggest someone contacts the prosecution solicitor and raises the concern that she would be identified by default and ask for the magistrates/judge to ban identifying him too.

woodstock3 Sat 30-Aug-08 23:22:47

no, she cannot be named as she is a minor, and as a journalist you are responsible for avoiding jigsaw identification of a minor as well (for instance, you cannot name the offender and also say that he abused his stepchildren, as it would be obvious who they were)
i am a journalist and tbh most local papers just avoid reporting sex offence cases within families altogether as jigsaw identification is too risky, and it is likely to be clear from the evidence that it is within a family setting, so i dont think you've got anything to worry about. does she have a police liason officer (if it is a sex offence involving a minor this is likely?) if so worth having a word for reassurance.

woodstock3 Sat 30-Aug-08 23:23:25

no, she cannot be named as she is the victim of a sex offence. and as a journalist you are responsible for avoiding jigsaw identification of a minor as well (for instance, you cannot name the offender and also say that he abused his stepchildren, as it would be obvious who they were)
i am a journalist and tbh most local papers just avoid reporting sex offence cases within families altogether as jigsaw identification is too risky, and it is likely to be clear from the evidence that it is within a family setting, so i dont think you've got anything to worry about. does she have a police liason officer (if it is a sex offence involving a minor this is likely?) if so worth having a word for reassurance.

woodstock3 Sat 30-Aug-08 23:24:00

sorry second message was right! duh must learn to preview

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now