Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

birth certificate

(5 Posts)
prettyfly1 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:35:38

my sons father was not on the birth certificate when he was born. He wanted a dna test. Dont ask (i was right he was wrong - was jsut being a rat) anyhow 3 years on he is involved with his son but we are concerned about the questions when our son sees his dads name not on cert. can this be changed?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 29-Aug-08 16:39:19

You can re-register and have him put on. You need to get a form from the registry office and go along togther and have it redone. It happens all the time.

prettyfly1 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:39:55

ok cool - thanks very much!

SqueakyPop Fri 29-Aug-08 16:40:01

You have to reregister:


Milliways Fri 29-Aug-08 16:40:23

info here

"If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and the father did not attend with the mother to register the baby it is possible to re-register the birth at any time in the future to include the father's details in the registration and change the surname of the child. A form is available from the Register Office that has to be completed by both parents.

The easiest way for the birth to be re-registered is for both parents to attend the Register Office together. However, it is possible for either parent to make a statutory declaration, before a solicitor or other person able legally to witness an oath, acknowledging parentage of the child. It is also possible for either parent to seek a Court Order naming the father. In any of these cases the birth will be registered again and certified copies of the re-registered birth can be purchased from the registrar. "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now