Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DLA- applying under special rules?

(7 Posts)
misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 11:30:26

as dh has suffered detoriation over the last 6months, i feel he may have a chance at the special rules application. his condition will eventually kill him if he doesnt egt a transpalnt, so i dont know if this is considered enoughfor the special rules.

misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 22:06:50

btw, his docs at harefield think he will get a new heart hopefully in the next 6-12months.

winnie Sat 19-Feb-05 22:13:33

misdee, DLA can be applied for under special if his condition is considered terminal (which I am sure you know). Your GP has to fill in a form (unfortunately as I am drunk I can't remember which one it is although I have dealt with it_ sorry). Will get back to you when sober with form details. Am thinking of you all, winnie xx

misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 22:19:18

we have the form, but dh says that atm his condition isnt terminal so wont get it filled in. says he'll stick with the orange form for now, but have made him promise that if he gets worse and is in hospital more he will get the form filled in.

winnie Sat 19-Feb-05 22:33:58

misdee, you can get it filled in by the Gp without your dh's knowledge (if Gp is prepared to do this). I have dealt with many clients whose spouse or parent hasn't wanted to accept they have a terminal illness and the rules allow this to remain so. HTH.

Fran1 Sat 19-Feb-05 22:55:12

misdee i replied to you on the other dla thread. To get special rules you have to be given only 6mths to live.

But - i have had clients with mnd who are not expected to last longer than a year and the GP has agreed to sign and say 6mths because there is a high chance things could change drastically.

The best thing to do is ask your GP and as winnie says you can do this without your dh knowing.

I'm not convinced that your situation would get special rules, because there is hope that your dh will get transplant. And as dla is normally given for life when under special rules and at the full rate, they wouldn't want to be committed to that if he got the tranplant.

Although saying that, there is something in the small print which says it will not definitely be given permanently, and that maybe the clause you need to get it for dh.

misdee Sun 20-Feb-05 09:04:38

thanks. we are waiting on one blood test results to comfirm if he can go on the list. if he has the 'wrong' blood/antibodies (not quite sure myself) then transplant wont go ahead as his body woul,d reject a new heart, but apparently its very rare and highly unlikely. but the worry is still there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now