Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

any solicitors out there? Deeds query

(4 Posts)
inkdrops Fri 29-Aug-08 13:49:24

My name is not on the deeds to our house, just my husbands, even though we paid off the mortgage together.

Is it worth paying the £250 something to put my name on, or am I still legally entitled to half the house/value if we got divorced?

Would there be any problems if one of us died, etc


AvenaLife Fri 29-Aug-08 13:51:59

I'd pay the £250. If you get divorced then he could technically sell the house without you knowing and it can get really messy. You really should have your name on there.

AvenaLife Fri 29-Aug-08 13:58:09

In the mean time you need to contact a solicitor and get them to put an interest on the house for you, this will prevent him from selling it/remortgaging it without your consent as you have an interest in the house (legal speak for you need to be contacted).

TuttiFrutti Fri 29-Aug-08 15:24:13

What AvenaLife said.

"Would there be any problems if one of us died, etc" - er, yes, possibly, because it is your dh's house and what would you do if in his will he's left it to his mother?

Get it put in joint names NOW.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: