Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Very boring question re tax disc/SORN

(18 Posts)
curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 11:50:52

Can anyone help with a quick boring question re SORN? My car tax runs out at the end of this month - is Sunday. The car has been in the garage and is awaiting a part and is now booked for the fitting of that part, and the MOT on Monday. I am, however, going on holiday tomorrow for a week, so would noe be able to sort out the tax online until I return from holiday. Therefore, my car will be untaxed for a week. Should I delcare it SORN in this time (parking it offroad isnt a problem)? I think the answer is technically yes, but I was just wodnering in reality whether this is necessary, or whether there is any grace period on the tax? Anyone know much about this??? Thanks!

Lauriefairycake Fri 29-Aug-08 11:53:25

you can purchase it now online, you don't have to wait til it runs out

there is no such think as a grave period and I do know someone who got fined (two weeks late) although you may be ok - but I wouldn't risk it

Lauriefairycake Fri 29-Aug-08 11:54:49

a grave period hmm

grace, dammit, grace grin

Cappuccino Fri 29-Aug-08 11:54:57

just tax it

it only takes about 2 min

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 11:55:02

But not if it doesn't have a current MOT.

bran Fri 29-Aug-08 11:56:39

I don't think she can buy it online if it's due an MOT. When does last year's MOT run out CS? If you have a few days to go then it would be better to pay the tax now.

Lauriefairycake Fri 29-Aug-08 11:56:42

but the MOT hasn't run out has it?

if it has you're right, you can't

bran Fri 29-Aug-08 12:00:01

A handy hint that my cousin gave me years ago, and has been very useful, is to buy 6 months tax this year then annual from the next renewal. That way your tax and MOT will always be 6 months apart and you won't have the rush to get it MOT's before you can pay the tax.

(Sorry, this doesn't help you much with your current dilemma.)

curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 12:02:20

Thanks for your speedy responses! Sorry, I didnt make that clear - the MOT has already run out. Took it in to be MOT-ed last week, and it needed a repair, which I had hoped would be done before tax ran out, but hasnt been possible. Otherwise yes, would just re-tax it, but I cant. Sounds like even though it is just a week it is really not worth the risk just in case, and I should just do a SORN, which I think can instantly be done online? When i subsequently tax it, does that override the SORN with immediate effect? So if I declare it SORN now, when I return from holiday I can go back online, by the tax disc, and drive it straight away...is that right does anyone know? Thanks again!

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 12:14:51

You'd be better off going to a post office and getting the disc straight away. Technically you have to display the disc, although they do send them out pretty smartish and you'd probably be fine.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 12:15:18

And yes, easy to SORN online.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 12:16:45

Is your car staying the the garage while you're on holiday?

curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 12:39:30

I see what you mean Fallen Madonna, so that I have the actual disc, not just online payment, but that I cna get the actual disc immediately too.

No, my car wont stay at the garage, but my mum is kindly collecting it and parking it in her garage, so definitely offroad.

I really dont want to get fined, so I think have reliased absoltuely no reason no to do the 'right' thing and get a SORN online now, then dont have to worry about it at all. My only hesitation in doing that was that it would take a while to 'be undone' meaning I couldnt drive the car once I got back and had taxed it. Have tired to phone the DVLA to check the procedure but they arent taking calls today because of a strike. But ultimately, I dont want to risk a fine, so will just do a SORN.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 12:43:32

The car will be untaxed when your mum is driving it BTW. I'm sure nothing is likely to happen, but couldn't she do the online tax for you on Monday if you give her the money?

You don't have to de-SORN as such, just tax the car as soon as you have all the documentation.

We've done it quite a lot.

curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 12:53:51

Oh yes, you are right TheFallenMadonna - but am I right in thinking you can drive your car to and from test centres without MOT/tax?

Fine, I am going to definitely SORN it right now. And I am going to ask my mum to get the tax on monday (which also increases speed with which tax disc will arrive after our return from holiday).

Thanks for all your advice.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 13:07:44

grin

It seems awfully complicated doesn't it?

curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 13:11:17

It does really you know! I keep thinking 'but I am not trying to avoid paying my tax or do anything illegal or scammy' - I am trying to get it right, but the answers online are never quite the ones you are looking for...and then of course no-one is availble to talk to at the DVLA! BUt I think I know what I am doing now!

curleyshirley Fri 29-Aug-08 13:13:57

ps have just done the SORN online, takes literally about 7 seconds grin - at least THAT part of it isnt complicated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now