Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Disability living allowance

(10 Posts)
rendale Sat 19-Feb-05 07:57:01

hello all we are new here, need some good advice.

we have 6 yr old with adhd and aspergers

we have been told to claim for DLA, which we have done and been given.we are now told that we should get a higher band for HELP WITH GETTING AROUND bit. even been mentioned that we could get help to wards a car and/or disabled badge.

is this right.
so what we ask is that any one who has been though this. plse talk to us. we are somewhat like fish out of water. with this.
thank you in advance for your attn to this matter

sparklymieow Sat 19-Feb-05 08:13:07

HI, It is very hard to get the Mobility compoment of DLA for AS and ADHD, as many people here will tell you (I have two children with Cerebral palsy and its so easy to get it for them as its a phyical disability) If you ARE awarded Mobility, you can then give up that part (approx £160 a month) to lease a car for three years. Also you will be able to get a badge if you get high rate.

tallulah Sat 19-Feb-05 09:55:55

Hello rendale. My DS (now 15) gets DLA for ADHD. He gets the higher rate care component but only the lower rate mobility. He can walk, & has no trouble physically walking. It's just that mentally he can't go anywhere on his own & be safe, hence the award.

I think you have to be getting the higher rate mobility to qualify for a car, & for that the child would have to be physically disabled & unable to walk, rather than unsafe. I may be wrong, as my friend's autitstic DS gets higher rate, but this is how I undertand it. HTH.

rickman Sat 19-Feb-05 10:35:51

Message withdrawn

Fran1 Sat 19-Feb-05 10:36:42

I agree with tallulah, you really should only be entitled to this if there is a physical problem with mobility.

Some people are successful if their child has severe paranoia, or complete refusal to walk anywhere, but quite unusual.

How is you 6yr old with walking? and what makes it hard for you getting around?

misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 11:13:25

i'd rather my dh got the care companents at time, even tho he gets high rate mobility. would make life easier and maybe then we could employ someone else to help us with his care. thank god for the warden!

misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 11:13:39

rickman have you applied yet?

misdee Sat 19-Feb-05 11:16:32

i keep wondering actually if we can claim under special rules for dh? he has suffered massive deteroation over the last 6months, and it scares me. dh says no, as he is outlive everyone, but we just dont know the full extent of his illness.

Fran1 Sat 19-Feb-05 21:37:39

I am soo sorry misdee, what does your husband have?

To get special rules you need a Medical professional to sign that the patient is not expected to live for more than 6months.

I have known of some GP's who would sign for things like MND even though officially they may have been told they have under a year to live, if the GP feels that could quite possible be reduced dramatically if they took a turn for the worse then they will sometimes sign.

But is must be awful for your dh to think like that, and i admire his positive thinking.

Fran1 Sat 19-Feb-05 21:52:02

Sorry misdee just caught up on your threads and see that you are about to have your labour induced also!

Hope all goes well and love to you dh also xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: