Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Oh God think I have been caught speeding, how many points?....am really worried!

(17 Posts)
anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 19:52:00

Am Bl**dy livid with myself! Was not concentrating on journey home tonight and sailed past one of those speed cameras on motorbikes. Checked speed and was doing 38 in a 30 zone, am now worried sick maybe I was doing just over 40 maybe before I put foot on brake sad.

Does anyone know how many points I am likely to get, does it matter whether I was going just under or just over 40?

Please don't shout as have already given myself a right telling off. Have never had any points or anything before!!

forevercleaning Thu 28-Aug-08 19:52:43

60 quid with 3points usually

forevercleaning Thu 28-Aug-08 19:53:23

that what i got for 41mph in a 30

schneebly Thu 28-Aug-08 19:54:17

DH got caught doing 36 in a 30 and got 3 points and a fine I think about £60 as already said.

geekgirl Thu 28-Aug-08 19:57:53

doesn't matter if you were going just over or just under 40
3 points, £60, and ££ on your insurance premiums unfortunately.

lilymolly Thu 28-Aug-08 19:58:53

£60 3 points
bad luck its shit isnt it

anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 20:02:23

Can cope with the fine its the points!!!!

Wouldn't mind so much but its a rural road, farm on one side set a few hundred feet back from road and a business on the other ;likewise set right back. I just wish they would try to control the beserk drivers who do triple and quadruple overtaking manoevures on a seemingly weekly basis, but of course no police to be seen then sad

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 20:03:20

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Thu 28-Aug-08 20:10:11

Message withdrawn

queenrollo Thu 28-Aug-08 20:21:52

i may have been caught earlier......realised i was doing just over 60, slowed down to just under 60 and then realised there was a covert van/mobile speed check up the road...........been driving just over a year and always very careful about my speed.
If i got caught then it's a lesson to me to be more observant.........

anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 20:23:51

Hi Riven

Will probably be absolutely paranoid now for quite a while, and will concentrate all of my efforts on staying strictly within the limits (lets hope I don't miss something else in the meantime).

Realistically, I drive about 80 miles per day as have a commute and then drive as part of my job, so I think it would be too idealistic to think I will never let my speed creep up ever again.

I deserve the points and the fine, just feel annoyed as have been driving for 8 years, no points, no other endorsements, no accidents but on the other hand have managed to avoid several potentially awful accidents due to other peoples dangerous driving, by driving defensively.

jojosmaman Thu 28-Aug-08 20:57:26

Could also depend on your area, my friend got caught speeding and she was offered the choice of £60 fine and 3 pts or £80 fine and taking a one day speed awareness course and no points as it was her first offence. She obviously took the second option and now knows the ins and outs of speed restrictions grin

FlightAttendent Thu 28-Aug-08 21:02:32

I wish I'd had that option, I'd have been interested to do the course as I really have no idea of the limits at times. Did the camera flash you? If not then you might be Ok. I only got done once doing 46 in a 30 zone, on a bike - empty road, tippex dots on my speedo as it was an import and only showed km!

it was a van, set up to catch people out I guess as they only just turned it into a 30 from a 40 that day

<sulk>

Points fell off after a few years.

anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 21:04:31

Second option second option puuuleeeeeses!!!

anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 21:05:28

Hi flight how many points did you get?

FlightAttendent Thu 28-Aug-08 21:07:23

Only 3! plus £60. They told me I could choose to go to court instead but I was very scared by that idea...

3 points I hate to say is pretty common, and most people you're supposed to declare them to don't give a monkeys really ime.

anyadviceoutthere Thu 28-Aug-08 21:08:44

Am less panicky now, three doesn't sound too bad, will have to be ultra careful til they come off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now