Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I choose an IFA? Do I need one?

(6 Posts)
sagitta Thu 28-Aug-08 13:27:14

I need to get a pension sorted out, and want a stakeholder one. I went to moneysupermarket, filled out a form, and an IFA has contacted me. Do I trust him? Do I need an IFA? I am pretty clueless about pensions, and don't seem to be able to work out what is a good one and what is a bad one...any advice?

sagitta Thu 28-Aug-08 16:20:28

anyone?

hopefully Thu 28-Aug-08 16:32:23

have you tried www.unbiased.com? you can search for IFAs in your area.

Did the IFA who contacted you tell you what experience and qualifications he had?

Incidentally, the whole idea of a stakeholder was meant to be that you could take one out with minimal/no advice, but I can't remember the specifics. I think there are decision trees and things. Have you googled for more information about stakeholders? I'm sure someone who knows better will tell you more though.

sagitta Fri 29-Aug-08 14:11:04

Thanks for that. Its a really good site - although for anyone else reading this, its www.unbiased.co.uk.

I would prefer not to use an IFA, but I really don't know which bank to go with...

Thanks!

hopefully Fri 29-Aug-08 16:34:43

Whoops, sorry, forgot it was .co.uk! Hope you manage to find one who can help you.

mumthatworks Thu 04-Sep-08 15:28:17

Hi I have worked in the finance industry for years and years dealing with complaints about both IFAs and banks. I would suggest that you definitely DO NOT go to a bank as they tend to have limited products and generally offer the more expensive deals. Go to and IFA but get a local one through your FSA register. If you go on the FOS or FSA website there should be a link somewhere there to find a local IFA that is registered with the Financial Services Authority & therefore covered by all their regulations...an IFA can offer you the most variety of products and ultimately the best choice.

Good luck

xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now