Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Our shopping bill a week.....

(106 Posts)
supersonic Fri 18-Feb-05 16:49:05

I know this is a bit boring but me and DP seem to be shocked at every week when we have finished our shopping - there is myself, DP and my DD (nearly 4 and a dog)we spend between £90 - and this week £115 at Tescos - does this a seem a lot to spend on a weekly shop for three people? We woudl really appreiate any ideas do reduce it or anyone else who thinks this is too much or 'normal'
thanks

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 18-Feb-05 16:51:19

God no!

Dh and I always joke that we can't go in to Asda without spending a minimum of £80

And when we get home we never seem to have anything for meals!

jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 16:52:19

thats a monthly shop for us! ok, so there is only me and dp as jess not eating grown up food yet, but we do a monthly shop at approx £120 and then buy bread, milk and veg as and when we need it! Most we spend on food i would think would be £160 a month.... i also shop at tescos!

essbee Fri 18-Feb-05 16:52:49

Message withdrawn

essbee Fri 18-Feb-05 16:53:31

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 16:54:22

so far this month we've spent £306.37 in Tesco but we have 3 children (although ds3 is only a baby so not buying food for him really). I'm shocked at how low that it is actually as we usually spend a lot more but I am being a bit more conscious about what I'm spending as we are about to embark on huge mortgage and have a lot of things coming up to pay for like 2 lots of car tax, insurance, MOT, loads of kids parties...

CarrieG Fri 18-Feb-05 16:55:38

£100. House rule - we do it online, see how much is spent on 'essentials' & the difference between that & £100 is the booze budget!

Probably about £70 without the drink - for me, dh, ds (6 1/2 months), 4 cats.

Gwenick Fri 18-Feb-05 16:55:41

I spend around £85-£95 a week that's for 4 of use (3 males although admittedly one is only 14 months old LOL).

That includes all the nappies, wipes, washing powder, 'treats' (mainly for DH LOL), I cook everything from scratch so lots of fruit and veg and fresh meat.

janeybops Fri 18-Feb-05 16:56:35

I spend about £60 - £80 a week depending on whether I need coffee or other expensive items that week. There are 2 adults and 2 kids.

essbee Fri 18-Feb-05 16:56:37

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 16:58:03

It's nappies/wipes etc that are a killer for us - we've got ds3 and ds2 in nappies and ds1 still in pull up at night! Can't wait till they are all trained!!!

daisy1999 Fri 18-Feb-05 17:01:07

jessicasmummy I applaude you. Let us in on the secret.
It scares the hell out of me when I see that I spend more on the shopping than the mortgage. It is by far our largest bill and I know we must be able to reduce it.

jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 17:03:40

i dunno really, we just have a freezer full of meat - be it steaks,pork,chicken you name it.... then we have potatoes and veg. we still manage nappies and wipes and baby milk in that too. I will say im a sucker for "value" stuff as it is cheaper and to me tastes the same. The only well known branded stuff we buy is baked beans, bread and jessica's stuff. We either use value or tescos own.

fisil Fri 18-Feb-05 17:04:15

I now spend exactly £75 a week. I shop online with ocado and you get free delivery if you spend over £75. So I like the challenge of trying to hit exactly £75! Once I've been through and done the shop I then go through and take off the little luxuries or things that can wait until I hit £75. If I'm under I will add on extra nappies or other things that don't go off so that I get the free delivery!

jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 17:04:28

our dinners consist of a certain meat, potato of some variety and veg..... or spag bol! we dont do post menues in my house - cant afford to!

lunavix Fri 18-Feb-05 17:06:44

We have a budget of £70 a week which includes all food, plus household cleaning stuff and toiletries. It wasn't meant to include baby stuff, but tbh it now includes baby food, milk etc. And as we now don't buy nappies, I guess it includes all baby stuff!

There's three of us... me, dp and ds (10 months). Tbh it's usually £60 online, then we spend the extra £10 on bits and bobs. We are fussy though, and if we want fillet beef we eat fillet beef...

WideWebWitch Fri 18-Feb-05 17:08:23

I spent £60 at Sainsbury's this afternoon and that's only stuff for a few days, plus odd bits like olive oil. The fruit will probably get us through most of next week but I'll need to shop again mid next week for veg, bread, fish. No nappies, wipes or booze in there either. I reckon our weekly food/other stuff bill is probably about £150, maybe more, definitely more with booze added. We buy organic so that might explain it. There was a good tip on a money saving thread about planning meals and sticking to it to cut your food bill. I don't do this and really should.

supersonic Fri 18-Feb-05 17:08:30

We also shop online most of the time but due to work changes I decided to go every week - but it does seem to cost us more as I get tempted very easily and end up buying sooo many 'goodies'. We would be happy with £80 a week. I must admit its not as if our meals change every week we seem to have the same boring stuff - spag bol - roast - shepherd pie - curry etc. - there must be a way of cutting it down.
Our friend only spends about £50 a week and I just have no idea how.

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 17:08:36

Hmm, see you are good buying value stuff JM. Was just talking to dh about it (happened to call while I was on here!) and we always buy finest meat from Tesco. When it comes to some things I can't scrimp though I do buy value where I think it doesn't matter - kitchen roll and nappy sacks usually!

We could cut down massively but I just throw in what I want really and couldn't tell you what anything costs - that will all change when my big mortgage comes into effect!

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 17:09:22

WWW - I go for a few bits and usually spend £50ish too! Mind you Sainsburys is expensive!

WideWebWitch Fri 18-Feb-05 17:10:05

And there are 4 of us, 2 of whom are vegetarian (if you want to compare!).

littlemissbossy Fri 18-Feb-05 17:10:27

OMG I daren't admit how much I spend on food shopping - just spent £40 on food for tonight and tomorrow's lunch - I too need some serious help budgeting

logic Fri 18-Feb-05 17:12:28

We spend about £100 a week for two adults and a two year old. We always have though, even before ds was born. I am very bad at planning meals and buy branded stuff and the occasional bottle of wine so I suppose that explains it. Buying online is definately cheaper though - far less impulse purchasing.

ks Fri 18-Feb-05 17:15:16

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 18-Feb-05 17:16:35

About £180 a month for 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 cat. Shop at Asda or occasionally use Tesco online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now