Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Another tax credit question!

(5 Posts)
IWishIWasALittleBitTaller Wed 27-Aug-08 10:55:12

DS starts school next week so I rang tax credit helpline today to tell them I won't be paying any nursery fees from 31 Aug. I am working more hours from 1 Sept too (29 instead of 22) and my wage will go up, he said I had to ring back on 1 Sept with new hours and to work out my wage for year.

So for eg I earned £10k April-Aug and will earn £13k Sept to March - shall I work out how much this is averaged over the year and tell them that amount? I know if I tell them to change my wage to £13k from Sept it will not be correct by next April as I haven't been earning £13k all year round.

Not sure if a rise of £3k makes much difference anyway? I obviously won't have any nursery fees so that element will stop.

Cheers!

catweazle Wed 27-Aug-08 18:52:29

They will want to know how much you will earn over the entire year (so in your example probably £11500)

boredveryverybored Wed 27-Aug-08 18:57:17

Yes just work out how much you will earn over the whole year, thats the figure they want. Also when you call to stop the nursery fees, make sure the adviser you're speaking to is aware of the 4 week run on (a lot of them seem not to be) you are entitled to an extra four weeks of the childcare element after your dc has left.
(am tax credit officer btw )

bonkerz Wed 27-Aug-08 18:59:15

work out how much you will have earned in BOTH jobs from april to april.

eg if april to aug you were in a job that paid 10k per year it will be 10000 divided by 12 times by 5= £4167

sept to april in job earns 13k per year it will be 13k divided by 12 times by 7= £7583
so total earnings for year would be £11,750

you would also have to work out your total childcare for year april to april and tell them how much that was for this year!

IWishIWasALittleBitTaller Wed 27-Aug-08 21:07:14

Thanks a lot, you're so helpful!

He did mention the 4 week run off thing, I was surprised about that but pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now