Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Private Landlords and Housing Benefit (or Local Housing Allowance, as i think it's now called) -

(9 Posts)
morninggirl Wed 27-Aug-08 08:41:05

does a private landlord have to be told legally that you are claiming housing benefit (or LHA?)?

i've been told yes. and i've been told no.

thanks in advance.

emskaboo Wed 27-Aug-08 08:54:18

No they don't, the only time they can influence the situation is where they know you are n LA and you are several weeks in arrears they can ask to be paid direct. Landlords just normally find out because of LA being paid four weeks in arrears and they being problems with processing which causes delays. If you can find wyas round those issues, e.g. if you have the money for four weeks rent etc then you don't have to tell.

emskaboo Wed 27-Aug-08 08:55:54

Sorry LHA not LA, too early in the morning for acronyms for me!

morninggirl Wed 27-Aug-08 09:04:47

-nods- thank you...

fiodyl Wed 27-Aug-08 22:14:00

no you don't have to tell the landlord but if it is through a letting agents then they will usually asking for income details and how you will afford/pay the rent.

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 22:17:02

No, there's a bit on the form asking if you want the council to send the landlord the money and do they know.
Some letting agents don't mind if you claim housing benefit, if you are already moved in then they don't have to know.

Funbags Sat 30-Aug-08 00:48:07

No you dont have to tell them but the local authority will ask for the LL's details - it will help if you send them and original copy of the tenancy agreement and ask them to send it back - far less likely to double check with LL than if a crappy copy sent in.

Do take a copy to keep though cos they are good at losing things. Lots of people tamper with agreements to put the rent up hence why they are cautious about poor copies.

Most LL's will ask how you are going to pay the rent and agents will always take employers or bank refernces. A lot of buy to let LL's claim that their insurer needs to know if anyone claiming (quite a lot of them bulshitting, just dont want claimants). You may have to be a little creative with he truth.

Some more experienced LL's less squamish about claimants, than some of the buy to let LL's who are doing it as a "project" and are a bit clueless and panicky about thier "investmenet" being trashed. Serves em right when they get a load of young prof's in instead who trash it having endless parties and mates in.

Good luck sorting somewhere can be really hard on bens. My sister had real trouble so I went to a viewing as she is a crap liar and acted all hoity saying she was going to be my nanny and simply had to be settled so my work was not interrepted. Go armed with some exclennt references and hand them over before the subjuct of money comes up. x

scaryteacher Wed 03-Sep-08 14:06:15

This has been said before, but under the terms of some buildings insurance, HB tenants are not allowed...this is not bullshit btw...and also it is not allowed under the terms of my my mortgage (not buy to let).

Hope you find somewhere.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 03-Sep-08 19:42:47

You need to be honest. They own the property and stand to lose a lot of money if you lie and something happens like a fire etc.

Lots of mortgage and insurance companies exclude people on benefits and your landlord wouldn't be covered if you decieve him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: