Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pensions. Anyone totally sorted? Or if not, anyone care to discuss the whys and wherefores.

(4 Posts)
nkf Tue 26-Aug-08 19:33:46

Or rather the facts and figures.
How much do you need? How are you supposed to know how much you will need?
I need to do some calculations about making up shortfall but don't really know where to start. I'm going to do one of those online calculations but if they tell me I'll get £xx how will I know if it will be enough. I keep thinking there msut be a sort of handy calculator ie aim for 50% of your salary. Or something?

findtheriver Tue 26-Aug-08 20:10:52

There was a thread about this not long ago, so hopefully someone will come along with some good advice in a minute.
I am in a pension scheme which will pay a good lump sum then half my salary, and I can state which year I would like them to calculate my salary from, which is quite nice as I can drop down to fewer hours for the last few years (if i want!) without it affecting my pension. I know you have to have put in a good few years full time to be able to do this. DH is on a similar scheme, plus we have some property investment. I think pensions are a huge issue, and a lot of people are burying their heads in the sand about them. I pay a huge amount each month into my scheme, but I consider it a good investment in the long term. I just don't want to be old and poor!

nkf Wed 27-Aug-08 09:57:15

Thank you. It's a minefield isn't it?

kerryk Wed 27-Aug-08 16:43:02

i am a bury your head in the sand type just now, i had all the paperwork ready when i was 18 to set up my pension but i then fell pregnant and it went on the back burner.

i hope to go back to work full time in the next year (i am now 26) and get it all sorted then.

dh will retire on a good pension but as much as we have a good marrage just now you never know what will happen in the future and i dont want to pin everything on him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now