Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can insurance company leave you without access to water/toilet overnight?

(9 Posts)
TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 10:57:21

Insurance work being done on house (only taken several years hmm). They are putting down flooring in kitchen (only lino stuff) but they said they are coming today to seal floor (concrete) and that it will need to be left to dry overnight and no one can walk on it. I would have queried this at time, but it was dp they spoke to.

Our bathroom is through our kitchen - which they do know having a)been to our house on countless occasions (the flooring company itself has 'measured up' at least 4 times so far) and this problem we are having done has affected bathroom and kitchen.

To have no access to kitchen means no access to any water supply and no access to toilet.

Ds and lodger are both staying out overnight, but me and dp have no where to go.

I'm sure I heard once that they cannot do this without providing us with alternative accomadation if it's more than a certain number of hours.

Also why does this need doing to floor? We've had lino layed before and we never had to lea ve it to seal for several hours.

Any ideas? They are coming this afternoon.

claricebeansmum Tue 26-Aug-08 10:59:59

I would check the very small print of your policy.

Concrete will need to be left to "go off" and you should not walk on it unless you want your footprint shaped dents in your new floor!

ilovemydog Tue 26-Aug-08 11:00:30

Call the insurance company and tell them that it's unreasonable for you to be without water, and they need to pay for accomodation overnight or until the work is done

Most insurance companies have an approved list of places for you to go.

TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 11:15:05

thank you smile

onebatmother Tue 26-Aug-08 11:30:06

also mention ds without telling them that he's gone elsewhere, if you haven't already <sneaky>

cmotdibbler Tue 26-Aug-08 12:43:20

Your house won't be fit to live in with no water or sanitary access. Therefore they will pay for reasonable alternative accomodation - just call them and explain your problem and get approval.

If you need detailed advice, DH will be able to quote the exact clauses about this if needs be

TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 12:50:36

crap, phoned my mum. She has all documents for policy and I think her name is on it 0 though she won't be specific (is complicated but easiest to think of her as landlord for this). She thinks it is perfectly reasonable and the only way we will get job done. She is refusing to see it as problem hmm

So I will have to wait until people get here and talk to them about it.

TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 12:51:28

I may see if any of my friends can lend us a floor for the night, but cannot contact them till they get home from work.

TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 13:03:09

men turned up - said we will be able to walk on it for access after 4 hours.

Thanks for these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now