Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maintenance for kids - when does it stop

(10 Posts)
HarlotOTara Tue 26-Aug-08 09:02:37

I would be grateful for some advice. My daughter's father pays a paltry sum which was agreed years ago. I have a court order. The agreement states that the maintenance will continue until 'child aatains the age of 18 years or leave full time education whichever is the later or until further order'. Does further education mean university? My daughter has just had her 18th birthday but will be going to university. The maintenance money would be very useful to help her whilst at university. My daughter doesn't currently see her father (her choice some years ago) and he has had no real interest in being in her life apart from the occasional visit. I haven't spoken to him since she was 12 when he upset her greatly and she stopped seeing him -he made no effort to rectify this. He is also incredibly mean with money - or was and I doubt that has changed. I would be really grateful to know legally where I stand in relation to him continuing to pay maintenanace. I don't want to sound money grabbing but the money would be so useful but dread speaking to him unless I know that there is a valid reason for asking.

StormInanEcup Tue 26-Aug-08 09:22:25

Message withdrawn

HarlotOTara Tue 26-Aug-08 10:16:42

Does it? I would be interested in what makes you say that. I have just had a letter from CB saying that my child benefit is cut from next month as my daughter is 18, nothing asking about university. They sent other forms etc. when my daughter was 16 asking if she was continuing to sixth form.

StormInanEcup Tue 26-Aug-08 11:33:32

Message withdrawn

scorpio1 Tue 26-Aug-08 11:35:58

Im not too sure about the maintenance, but doesn't he want to help fund his daughter through uni? shock

I think you only get cb until they are 18 in England.

abouteve Tue 26-Aug-08 11:42:19

Interesting question. We are in very similar circumstances to you. My DD is only 14 so a few more years yet but the way I understand it is:-

If they remain in full-time education until the age of 18 then maintenance, child benefit, child/working tax credits continue until 18 when they leave school. If going into higher education i.e University. Then it all stops just as it would if they went into a job. (That's when I will need to work full-time).

NomDePlume Tue 26-Aug-08 11:44:21

AFAIK - 18 or when they finish f/t education, whichever comes first. So either way, the longest it runs for is until the child is 18 years old.

abouteve Tue 26-Aug-08 11:47:27

Yes that's what I meant to say same as NomDePlume. It came out a bit garbled. Once at University they are deemed as adults and off the parents hands hmm as it is possible to live off the grants, student loans etc. Or so they say.

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 11:49:55

Can you also get an exdh to contribute towards uni fees?

HarlotOTara Tue 26-Aug-08 16:15:08

Thanks for the replies, interesting that going to college means that they are off your hands - students from families with low income get a grant - from that I would assume that there is an expectation for parents to contribute.

Someone asked why wouldn't her father want to support her - well he haasn't wanted to so far. The maintenanace I received for her wasn't much in the first place. How do men do it - walk away and not care (not that I'm bitter of course!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: