Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it possible to get a credit card with no job but steady income?

(11 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 23-Aug-08 12:26:56

I get a regular income from benefits here in Ireland. I get carer's allowance which is rather generous here. I don't have a job. I currently use a credit card that is on my parent's account but in my name. It is an American bank. It has good credit on it and has always been paid on time.

Problem is getting money to them to pay the bill costs a fortune in exchange rates and bank fees. I really want to get a credit card that I can pay directly.

any ideas? thanks.

MummyDoIt Sat 23-Aug-08 12:55:00

It certainly was possible years ago. I got my first credit card when I was a student living on a grant (days before student loans). The limit was £50!! That was Barclaycard. No idea if it's still possible now.

fiodyl Sat 23-Aug-08 15:03:14

You may be able to get one of the higher rate cards like the Vanquis one or Barclaycard Initial.

They have a higher rate of interest because they are designed for people with low credit scores or no previous credit history.

KerryMum Sat 23-Aug-08 15:04:13

I'm in ireland would that make a difference do you think?

CheckAvailability Sat 23-Aug-08 15:44:56

i'm in ireland too, i have just got my 1st cc

I applied online to my own bank, they didnt ask for employment details just income details

fiodyl Sat 23-Aug-08 20:16:35

No idea if being in Ireland makes a difference, but Im sure you have Barclaycard over there don't you? The Vanquis card is done by the same company as Provident who do the loans- do you have them in Ireland?

IllegallyBrunette Sun 24-Aug-08 22:17:22

Yers ago I got 2 credit cards with only child benefit and tax credits as my income.

More recently, I got a Capital One card with only CB, Tax Credits and IS as my income, and I have a crap credit rating.

Ivegotaheadache Mon 25-Aug-08 07:25:55

They can't check what you earn or if you even work. They go on a credit check to assess what sort of a risk you would be. If you pay all your debts on time and have no ccj's or defaults and suchlike, it shouldn't be a problem to get a cc.

dibdabscribble Wed 27-Aug-08 15:05:50

Bloody hell carer's allowance in Ireland is rather better than in England isn't it! Would you like a new neighbour? grin

KathH Thu 28-Aug-08 20:40:49

my mum has credit cards and the only income she has is pensions and a couple of investments

ilovemydog Thu 28-Aug-08 20:44:51

Go into your local branch of Bank of Ireland and discuss. My bil was a bank manager for BoI and said that the bank managers had quite a lot of discretion whether to approve or not (even though it would go to Dublin for approval)

Do you have an irish bank?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now