Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Insurance question

(6 Posts)
larry5 Thu 21-Aug-08 10:27:05

Can someone tell me if house insurance claim would be affected by having the house keys left on view in the house. My dh and I had an argument about this yesterday as dds keys were left out in the kitchen and I would like to know who was correct.

DaisySteiner Thu 21-Aug-08 12:11:12

Shouldn't be, but check your policy. Most policies will still cover you even if you leave your house unlocked!

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 21-Aug-08 12:57:45

No, it wouldnt affect your insurance.

Leaving your house unlocked whilst out is a different matter - fine if popping to the gardem, shed etc - but leaving the house unlocked whilst not in the immediate area would be classed as negligence with some insurers and most policies have a clause re negligence.

DaisySteiner Thu 21-Aug-08 13:18:45

Although I used to work for a large insurance company and they always told us that they would pay out on claims where someone left the house unlocked if they went out - could have changed in the past 6 years though.

Fizzylemonade Thu 21-Aug-08 18:00:06

We have been leafleted (sp) where we are to tell us to keep our doors locked in the day and to take car keys etc upstairs when we go to bed.

This is to stop them nicking your car with your keys and breaking in through a window but opening a door to leave!

I think the term "reasonable care" comes into it, ie have you taken reasonable care to protect your property.

There have been incidents of car theft etc where thieves have nicked keys from hall tables. These have been on those police tv programs recently.

My mate locked himself out of his house and the locksmith just put a long pole through the door and hooked his keys off the table in the hall. He was really shocked it was that easy! He doesn't leave them there now!

mum2oneloudbaby Sat 23-Aug-08 10:48:27

check your policy ours specifically says that no keys should be left on display and that all windows should be locked otherwise we are not covered.

have had to find ingenious yet accessible places to put window keys grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now