Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

URGENT is it legal for a loan company to charge 180% interest? In a BIG mess

(7 Posts)
G2B Tue 19-Aug-08 19:31:46

When Dp and I met, he had a lot of debt and very bad credit. We've paid off a few bits, but there's one charging 180% and we cannot pay it. What are we going to do? We can't even pay a small amount a month, we have next to nothing to even live on after paying rent, council tax, other bills, other debts etc.

We probably owe a good few thousand by now.

Please help us We're at our wits end.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 19-Aug-08 19:33:38

yes its legalbut a debt advisor maybe able to get them to freeze the interest if you agree to and stick to regular payments. id advise going to CAB asap and they will help you out and negotiate on your behalf with your creditors.

hf128219 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:35:29

Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau tomorrow

It is possible to enter into a Voluntary Arrangment with creditors - also please remember that Bankruptcy is not such a stigma these days.

Good luck.

G2B Tue 19-Aug-08 19:39:18

What exactly is bankruptcy?

BetsyBoop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:00:03

also try the financial ombudsman - They will investigate extortionate interest rates & if they decide unfair can award compensation and/or have the debt written off.

hf128219 Tue 19-Aug-08 20:23:50

In summary Bankruptcy is a from of Insolvency - which occurs when you do not have enough assets to cover your debts - or are unable to pay your debts when they become die.

Only an individual can declare themself bankrupt - businesses go into administration/receivership/liquidation.

The Enterprise Act 2002 changed the law. The law has tried to identify between 'culpable' and 'non-culpable' bankrupts. If you are non-culpable the debts have occured through no fault of your own - for example there has been no dishonesty, negligence or criminal activity.

If you are deemed to be non-culpable you are automatically discharged from Bankruptcy after a maximum period of 12 months. In essence your debts are gone.

Funbags Sat 30-Aug-08 01:12:11

180% not uncommon on the home credit market - that's about what provident charge. Go to CAB or local debt advice centre - what area are you in - I can find this out for you, and make sure they are decent. A credit union can also help - much more reasonable rate of interst and they'll only ask you to repay in installments they know you can afford. They might be able to clear off the loan for you and youpay them back instead. Who ever you see there are some golden rules...

NEVER pay for debt advice


Steer clear of IVA's they sound good but when you work out the interest they often cost more.

YOU CAN GET THIS UNDER YOUR CONTROL!! It wont be easy and you'll have to be patient if the service is busy but persevere. Most debt advisors can get your repayments reduced or your interest frozen or some of the balance written off. You'll feel so much better once you have had some proper advice. Let me know how you get on. good luck.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now