Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My income support has been stopped, I don't know why, I don't know what to do.

(17 Posts)
scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 14:24:57

Have been on IS for 4 years as have 2 children with disabilities. Me and DH are both carers and both recieve carers allowence. In June my daughters DLA was stopped for a week due to the office not completely the review in time. At the same time my Dh's carer allowence was stopped and we had to put in a new claim. My IS continued for 8 weeks after at a slightly higher rate with £30 a week extra to cover the CA. CA was restarted last week, and now my IS has been stopped completely. I don't know how they can say that after 4 years we suddenly are entitled to nothing. My housing benifit has been stopped too now. I am waiting for a call back to find out what the hell is going on.
The woman I just spoke to was really rude too..

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 14:25:35

Have named changed as am embarrassed, but please don't out me if you work it out

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 14:43:42

been on entitledto and it says we should get £49 a week IS

fiodyl Mon 18-Aug-08 14:59:22

If you circumstances haven't changed then you will still get the same amount, and even if it is temporarily suspended then you will get it back dated when it gets paid again.

Why did the DLA stop? and is this back in payment now?

It sound to me like they haven't yet recieved confirmation that it has been restarted thats why everything has automatically stopped after the 8 week run-on period.

When did the income Support dept. say they were going to ring you back and have you spoken to the housing benefit dept. at the council yet?

mommy6 Mon 18-Aug-08 15:01:15

I thought only one person could claim CA.
Housing benefit will stop while IS is not being paid but should be back paid when IS starts again.
Are they trying to say one of you can work?

fiodyl Mon 18-Aug-08 15:30:43

No they can both claim CA as long as they are claiming it for looking after 1 child each.

It doesn't sound to me like anyone is being told to work, just that payment has been suspending as they haven't recieved the information they need to continue it yet.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 18-Aug-08 15:36:06

your hb has been stopped because your is has been stopped its an automatic thing. they will both be backdated once they have all the info they need

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 15:36:35

Not saying that we have to work, we can't due to the kids disabilities. IS said that my entitled has ceased and they have to recover £340 from me shock DLA has restarted, CA has restarted. DLA was stopped because they didn't sort it out in time for the review date (not my fault as they had the form for 15 weeks) IS are supposed to phone me within 24 hours but we are at the hospital tomorrow with our eldest.

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 15:38:37

actually she did say something about jobseekers allowence, and signing on.. omg!! what do I do??

FAQ Mon 18-Aug-08 15:39:00

Think I may know who you are.

Don't really have anything useful to say, but I hope it all gets sorted out ASAP>

Flamesparrow Mon 18-Aug-08 15:41:08

They suspend it if you are late, and then piss about for a while sorting it all out.

(I discovered that with housing benefit a few weeks back)

Call again and try to speak to someone different. It should be that the departments just aren't matching up yet.

It is a nightmare whilst it is happening though

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 15:44:50

I am so scared.. how can i afford £104 a week for rent??

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 18-Aug-08 15:49:22

go down to the council asap with everything, bank satements from the last three months, award notices from DLA, tax credits and CA. and evdience of any other income you have.

they can still pay hb while you are not receiving income support you just have to prove your entitlement to it.

call back is and ask what is going on. be isistant with them. i had this when tax credits paid me too much. its awfull getting all sorted you feel like you are on the phone constantly. cab will help if you dont get anywhere. good luck

mommy6 Mon 18-Aug-08 15:49:52

I see one claims CA for one child and the other for the other child.Sorry wasn't thinking it through,brain has gone funny with the lo's at home all day.
If both children need full time carers i don't they can make one look for work.
I have a close friend that will know,i'll try and find out for you.
It's more likely that things have just crossed over and will get sorted.

mommy6 Mon 18-Aug-08 16:00:40

Not sure if this is any help
Friend not in atm but will try later

scaredonbenifits Mon 18-Aug-08 16:01:09

have been back on the phone, seems that CA haven't informed IS that CA has restarted so IS has been stopped. As soon as CA inform IS then payments should restart. [phew]

fiodyl Mon 18-Aug-08 16:50:07

It just looks to the computer system that your DH is available for work so can sign on because the info from CA isnt there yet. It should all get sorted eventually and backdated but if you are really struggling in the mean time you maybe able to get a crisis loan to cover you until you are paid next.

Btw you do need to do all the above again with the council as well as IS cos they don't usually pass the information on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now