Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Legal agreement to live with XP?

(12 Posts)
Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 13:46:54

XP is going to move in to my house for 4/5mnths to help out with DD when I start back to work and it makes financial sense. He thinks we need a legal agreement stating we're not a couple? Is he right?

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 13:53:16


Zebraa Mon 18-Aug-08 14:08:44

My advice would be to make an appointment with a solicitor.

You only need any kind of agreement if one has custody and the other wants Parental Responsibilty which means you can't make any decisions, i.e. hols or education choices without his agreement. I am not wholly sure how it would work if you are living together but not separated.

Zebraa Mon 18-Aug-08 14:09:16

but separated *

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 14:14:37

I've looked at CAB and I don't think we need anything either, I do enjoy being right!

solidgoldbrass Mon 18-Aug-08 14:20:13

It depends on who owns the house and whether it is the house you lived in together when you were as couple, I think. Is he going to be paying rent to you (ie do you own the house?) Are you divorced (if yo uwere married in the first place).

I think if it's in any way financially complicated then it's worth checking it all out legally, though well done for being on good enough terms with an XP to be able to pull this off.

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 14:22:04

You may need some kind of proof that you aren't living together as a couple if you are claiming tax credits etc.

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 14:24:30

I rent the house, we have never been married, he isn't going to be paying rent as such - instead he will pay DD's nursery fees.

From what I can see unmarried couples have very few rights let alone unmarried uncouples, I've told him he can speak to a solicitor if he wants but I am ok with an informal agreement.

I hope we're on good enough terms, if either of us start seeing someone it could be very odd!

FAQ Mon 18-Aug-08 14:25:50

I think you'll only need something to "prove" that you're not living together as a couple if you claim tax credits/benefits etc.

Don't forget that when he's living there you'll lost your single person discount on your council tax too.

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 14:25:52

I won't be claiming any tax credits whilst he is living here.

solidgoldbrass Mon 18-Aug-08 14:27:23

Ewe: I think you probably have to inform your landlord that he is moving in (this would be the same whether or not the person moving in is your sister, your best friend or someone you are having hot monkey sex all ove the carpets with): this is about the number of peole living in a house, not the relationships between them.

Ewe Mon 18-Aug-08 14:30:30

I have informed my landlady, she is fine with it but none of us want him on the tenancy agreement, so I think that is fine. I will inform the council tax people when he actually arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now