Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Who do you need to tell that you have become a MRS?

(5 Posts)
callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 22:53:03

Google has just failed me by trying to sell me lots of deed polls sad

I am looking for a list of who to tell I have changed my name now I am married. I know who I need to tell but in what order?

e.g if I change my bank before I tell work and tax man it will cause confusion surely? Ditto child benefits and bank. I have 2 copies of the marriage certificate and am not sure who will take an original and who will accept a copy.

I am confused grin

Bowddee Wed 13-Aug-08 22:57:13

I told work first, then the bank and then slowly muddled my way through everything else I could think of.
The important ones use all kinds of reference numbers so a name change should be easy to deal with. They probably do it all the time.
I think it took me about 2 years to finally get round to doing all of them.

callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 23:02:10

I don't think I can cope with 2 years of remembering who I am when I talk to different people sad

I have unofficially changed at work - payroll are still paying me as my Maiden name. But I need to start somewhere!

dilbertina Wed 13-Aug-08 23:04:07

I have been married nearly 6 years and have still not changed some things.blush

Only got round to changing mobile phone recorded message a couple of months ago.... I think it takes time toget used to these things...Some things like passport, driving license I just changed when I next had to change it anyway ie out of date, moved house etc.

Bowddee Wed 13-Aug-08 23:06:56

Don't worry, you won't have to remember who you are .

It's more a case of suddenly finding out there's someone you haven't told and asking them to update their records.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now