Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

childcare credits for over 3s

(4 Posts)
purlease Wed 13-Aug-08 14:37:00

DD has just turned 3 and a number of people have mentioned that she is now entitled to some free childcare. She is starting school nursery in September for 2 hours each morning (which is free)but will be collected afterwards by current nursery staff to spend the rest of the day there.

Should I be talking to current nursery about money off or is there a government scheme for claiming childcare assistance?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 13-Aug-08 14:55:28

Yes its the two hours your dd is getting free that is the 'free childcare'

My two go to full day nursery but stay there all day and get we a reduction for 3 yo ds1 as the 2 free hours is incorporated.

Unless you are entitled to tax credits towards nursery (low income workign families) then I can't see that your current nursery will give you a reduction as its not like they will be able to fill the place with another paying child for the two hours she is not there.

LIZS Wed 13-Aug-08 15:01:01

The "free" school nursery will have first call on the LEA Nursery funding . They'll ask you to sign a form so they can claim funding. If it were fewer than 5 sessions(which can be 2.5 or in some areas now 3 hours long) you could claim some for the other place too. Tax credits are available for working parents who meet certain criteria towards chidlcare but if you aren't already entitled it is unlikely to change with relatively lower costs involved.

purlease Wed 13-Aug-08 15:20:13

As you say Flibbertyjibbet, I don't think current nursery will reduce price. After all they are collecting DD from school to bring her back to nursery. Just wanted to check that we're getting our entitlements. I'm a bit rubbish with money generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now