Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Builders con

(14 Posts)
1legmummy Sun 10-Aug-08 22:44:03

Hi I need advce. long,long story but in short we have paid £62,000.00 to a man called Sean Bundock to renovate and extend our bungalow for my wheelchair access.

He disappeared in Jan this year leaving us homeless, taking all the money, we even lent him £4,000.00 we thought he was such a nice person.

When building regs people came they said good job he had not finished as it was not safe to live in

My Dad has set up a website -

in the hope this would make him pay us back, we have emails from him promising the money and we have several addresses for him.

What do we do? I have legal cover on my home ins but it excludes this sort of thing. I have approached a debt collector.

Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks xx

Whizzz Sun 10-Aug-08 22:48:45

Surely the first thing to do is to seek legal advice from a solicitor ??

OneLieIn Sun 10-Aug-08 22:49:37

OMG, that sounds terrible. I don't really have any advice, but could the CAB help you or point you in the right direction?

Really sorry for you - this sounds awful!

1legmummy Sun 10-Aug-08 22:50:43

We have spoken to many solicitors, but we cannot afford to pay them and they will not do no win no fee

CarGirl Sun 10-Aug-08 22:53:27

You need to get the cheques you wrote out to him back (via your bank) and establish whether they went into his personal account (then if he has a home you can pursue debt recovery on him personally because he has equity in his house) or whether it went into a company account that was Ltd in which case I don't think there is much you can do.

Have you reported it to the police, did they give you any advice?

Have you tried contacting watchdog to see if they would help you - your disability may work for you for once and it adds an extra slant to the "story"

You may be able to get a free or fixed consultation from a solicitor.

Janni Sun 10-Aug-08 23:02:05

There's also the Radio 4 programme You and Yours who love hunting down cowboys, especially if you've got his name and address. Good luck - horrible for you.

1legmummy Sun 10-Aug-08 23:03:07

We paid through bank transfer to his business acc.

He is not limited

Police say it is a civil matter - nothing they can do

I have written to Watchdog but if they are anything like DIYSOS because we have moved back home they dont want to know.

I have contacted a debt collection service today

1legmummy Sun 10-Aug-08 23:17:36

Thanks have just sent email to Radio 4 x

CarGirl Mon 11-Aug-08 13:09:24

well I think that you may have some success if he owns a property with equity in it I believe they can force him to sell it (although presumably if he has children you may have to wait until they are 18???)

I hope you get somewhere please keep us updated.

Seabright Mon 11-Aug-08 23:23:29

Sue him through the Small Claims Court (you can do it without a solicitor - it's set up as a DIY system) and you will get a judgment which you can enforce in a number of ways (attach it to property he owns, get bailiffs to seize his belongings and auction them or get an attachment of earning order if he's an employee now).

1legmummy Tue 12-Aug-08 13:51:42

Do we have to know where he is? he seems to have disappeared!!

Also small claims are for that I think, but he owes us £62,000.00

I have approached a debt collector and they seem interested

Will update when I know more - thanks guys x

RUnMAN Wed 30-Dec-15 12:09:47

My name is Rafal and im from Poland.
At the start i want to apologize for me's very poor but I'll do my best to write clearly this message.
This guy SEAN CARL BUNDOCK moved to Poland in 2009/2010 and he set up company called FXSALT. He cheated so many people here fo over 100,000 GBP, and the same story beacose company was registred on BVI ther is no way to chasing him beacose by the law we are not able to do.
Shame the noone is intersting to get the money back..hovever im doing my private investigation and hopefully i ll get information which im looking for.

1legmummy Thu 20-Oct-16 22:38:26

RUnMAN did you get anywhere? Our website and Facebook group will be back up and running on 24th October

FlabulousChic Thu 20-Oct-16 23:17:36

Your money has gone if he doesn't have the means to pay it it there is nothing a bailiff or court can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now