Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Noticed TK-Maxx have a new returns policy, not returmns or exchanges without a recipet (and only within 14 days with one now) but what about presents? ....

(16 Posts)
DisenchantedPlusBump Sun 10-Aug-08 21:43:15

Now I haven't actually received a present grin but as far as they know I could have!

I bought a snowsuit for my DD, due Deca nd a matching blanket (only bought the blanket as it matched the snowsuit)

It was the only thing Ive bought new up to now as money has been tight but I wanted to buy something!

But now someone has given me a tonne of 2nd hand stuff, including about 3 snowsuits and 3 coats!

So I dont need these!

What do you think they would say if i took them back (in TK Maxx bag with all tags on, not used or anything) but no reciept and said they were a present and could I change it for something else??

Slouchy Sun 10-Aug-08 21:45:30

I had an item which had gone outside the 14days (had receipt).They said I had to do an exchange there and then. Iy was tough, but I managed to find somenthing!!

nancy75 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:47:02

dont understand, have you lost the recpt or are you over the 14 days?
it is quite usual to not give refund without recpt, and it is legal not to exchange, however if the policy has just changed there is usually a period of grace. if you bought the item 27 days ago and at the time the refund policy was 28 days then you should still be able to take it back.

DisenchantedPlusBump Sun 10-Aug-08 21:47:09

I don't mind exchanging as i haven't got any blankets so could get a couple of them.

I haven't got a recceipt at all, but its all obviously from there as its got TK Maxx labels on it!

nancy75 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:48:30

how did you pay? if credit/debit card they should accept statement as proof of purchase

DisenchantedPlusBump Sun 10-Aug-08 21:48:38

I bought it under 14 days ago but I have no proof of that as I threw away the receipt (i never expected to receive all the snow suits and coats so didn't think I would be returning them!)

DisenchantedPlusBump Sun 10-Aug-08 21:49:11

Ah statement yes, not sure when next ones due though,

nancy75 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:49:53

if debit card ask your bank for a copy of last 2 weeks transactions

DisenchantedPlusBump Sun 10-Aug-08 21:51:19

Thanks Nancy Will do x

bonnyb1 Sun 10-Aug-08 22:05:20

I had a similar situation with TK Maxx, threw away receipt but then wanted to take something back within 14 days - I took my bank statement and asked to see a manager but they wouldn't give me an exchange, no way. I emailed the HO with a complaint but they wouldn't budge either, so I sent them a reply along the lines of 'I hope the impending credit crunch cripples your annual profits' - needless to say I am still stuck with an unwanted sunhat wink

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 11-Aug-08 09:17:46

More shops are insisting on receipts to stop people shoplifting and returning for a refund - its getting more common.

Your bank will give you a printout and the store should be able to trace the transaction on their system from that.

FioFio Mon 11-Aug-08 09:19:42

Message withdrawn

LIZS Mon 11-Aug-08 09:26:43

They're not legally obliged to change anything unless faulty , damaged etc, with or without receipt. The policy you describe is therefore discretionary but as the goods are in a saleable condition they may relent and offer an exchange. Strictly speaking even if a gift it should be the buyer who returns them not the recipient so actually your case is weaker by saying they were a present. Can you get a mini statement from cashpoint ?

beeemail Wed 03-Sep-08 11:31:43

Is this 14 day policy actually legal? Seems extremely bad for business and with 2 babies it's impossible to get things done quickly for me!

They refused a perfect jumper return, with receipt, but just 1 day over the 14. Now I am stuck with it.

I will try to avoid TK Maxx in future - they should at least allow an exchange....

platypussy Wed 03-Sep-08 11:47:33

I tend to avoid places that are arsy about refunds/exchanges, so will probably avoid TK from now on.

MerlinsBeard Wed 03-Sep-08 11:48:28

i used to work in a shop and the ony refunds you HAVE to give legally are if the item is faulty for whatever reason (unless its a fault that has purposely been done to get some money)

We used to give an exchange with a different proof of purchase but only at the current selling price of the item. for example, your bank statement may say you spent £35 in TKMaxx but there is no way of knowing from that exactly how many items you bought.

Also, we had no way in store of chasing up individual transactions. Well, we did, but it would literally take DAYS and the date the money comes out of your bank isn't always the date that the items were bought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now