Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car seat, child restraints and the law

(11 Posts)
stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:23:51

can someone please point me in the direction of the exact legalese for this. i need to show my family. who are being very very annoying about this.
i know that for short unexpected journeys, my 5 and 7 year olds can sit without car seats. but can you please show me the bit wherre it says that the 10 month old CAN NOT EVER EVER sit without a car seat. AND NEVER EVER EVER in the front seat in an adults arms.
i dont know if they are doing this because they are generally obtuse, or if its a wind up. i was practically yelling at my mom today, asking her why she was asking me to break the law. she would nt ask me to go steal, so how can this be different, just because its a different law?

also, she seemed to think that if the kids had to sit in car seats, fine, but i could sit on her lap.... i didnt know whether to laugh or cry.

stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:25:10

also, only five people per car is correct isnt it? even if four skinny people cansqueeze into the bck set, its illegal isnt it?

tissy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:29:26

there's this

and this

tissy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:29:59

you have to have a set belt for each passenger

tissy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:31:04

actually that's not true till May next year

merryandmad Sun 10-Aug-08 16:33:22

"Look at this page"

tissy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:38:02

sod whether it's the law or not (though it is). They are asking you to put your child at risk of dying. If your baby was sitting on your lap without a seatbelt around him, in the evnt of an impact you would let go and he would go flying. Even if you think you wouldn't, you would.

If your child was sitting on your lap with the seatbelt around him, in the event of an impact, your weight would move forward, and crush his tiny fragile chest and abdomen against the tightening seatbelt.

It's a no-brainer.

stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:38:06

thank you tissy

tissy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:41:00

and children are ONLY allowed to travel without seatbelts if the car is so old there aren't any. And it's also foolish and dangerous to put one belt around two children.

Stand your ground, stitch.

stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:49:59

tissy, these are people who didnt use seat belts on their own children, ie, me.
they also live abroad, and are only here on holiday, dbil is someoone who is particularly blase about road traffic laws, and my dsis is often tearing her hair out at his casual accrual of traffic fines.
the whole family went on a day trip, but we couldnt all fit in two cars. mom was upset that i wasnt going, and was trying to fit me in the car. smile she was suggesting i sit in her lap smile i am 35, she is 64.
with my bil, i know he does it more to wind me up. but thank you very much for that link. i shall print it off, and wave it at them. grin

stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:51:32

oh, i am standing my ground tissy. grin which is why i am here mnetting, whilst they are all out , gone to cambridge for the day. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now