Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I "work" the CSA system?

(11 Posts)
Dreadfulwoman Sat 09-Aug-08 10:19:14

My maintenance case has been going on for 5 years and they still haven't even got the the point of finding out if he's earning, despite continuous phone calls from me bi-weekly. Am fed up, broke and going insane-our only income is child tax credits, which don't cover our rent, so am having to sell things. How can I get them to get a move on? We REALLY need the money. He's working, I know he's working, but they still drag their heels waiting for confirmation from him that they haven't received once in 5 years!!!!

newforoldspeaksforhughjars Sat 09-Aug-08 14:36:45

They don't need confirmation from him, they can check with Inland Revenue. It takes about 12 weeks to complete.

You really need to get your local MP involved, google him or her then email the details asking for help.
You can also go through the complaints procedure with the CSA and claim compensation if your case has been mishandled.

Do your kids have contact with your ex? Could you speak to him about it?

If your only income is tax credits then surely you should be receiving housing benefit as well.
Check on to see if you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.
What about child benefit too? Income Support?

Dreadfulwoman Sun 10-Aug-08 09:50:05

I don't qualify because my mum died and left me a house, so that is counted as income, even though I'm having to sell it, so we're in a real financial mess. I'll see my MP and go through their complaints proceedure as it's just being passed from "case worker" to caseworker, and no one has ever done anything to it.

Dreadfulwoman Sun 10-Aug-08 09:50:59

Sorry, that was meant to say trying to sell it, so even though it's future capital we can't get any money from it atm (sorry!)

Seabright Sun 10-Aug-08 12:53:50

Dreadfulwoman - It's not really an answer to your initial query, but could you rent out your late mother's house? The property sale market is crap at the moment and getting crapper, but the rental market is really good. It's worth thinking about

BBBee Sun 10-Aug-08 13:11:32

no advice but wanted to wish you the best and hope things are sorted out for you - this sounds horrible.

ivykaty44 Sun 10-Aug-08 13:22:31

Is he working for someone else and paying PAYE?

Stop telephoning, and start writing.

First write a letter to your MP.

keep all feeling out of the letter only state the fact. The fact is the CSA are able to go through the National Insurance system to find out about where and how much your ex is earning - so even if self employed they are able to use this system to evaluate his income.

I wrote a letter to my own mp after 2 months of being promised a call back and explination of the errors occuring on my case. By jove they started telephoning me to assisit me, even to tell me they had recived a letter from my mp (yes I know i contacted him durr, cant telephone me otherwise though)

You have got to write though as the csa hate having to write back...cos then it is on paper and they cant denie they said it!!

Also by writing they have to deal with the case cos the letter will not go away whereas telephone calls are not all taped. wink

PersephoneSnape Sun 10-Aug-08 14:40:15

If you are trying to sell your mums house, it can be disregarded as capital for an initial 26 weeks for income support purposes. You will need to actually have it on the market (not just think about it IYSWIM) then you can claim income support - that should help out a little bit for the time being (can't help with the CSA stuff I'm afrais..)

Dreadfulwoman Sun 10-Aug-08 20:20:05

Thank you all so much. It's being valued tomorrow and is going on the market in a few weeks. I tried renting it but noone has even looked at it-it's in a v small town so properties are on the market for a v long time-it's been on since March. I didn't know that about the income support, thank you so so much-worrying about money is the worst worry ever! smile

PersephoneSnape Sun 10-Aug-08 23:19:34

you're very welcome for the income support stuff I work on jobseekers allowance - we're not all vile! ;) make it very clear in your application that the house is on the market and include a schedule or the name/address of your estate agent if possible with your application - that'll speed it up. I'll look out the regulations at work tomorrow and post them up here so you can quote them if you have any problems.

Harra Mon 11-Aug-08 10:21:47

Hi Dreadful woman,
As the others suggest write. I wrote to the Chief Executive of the CSA last year and that seemed to help.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now