Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Life/ health insurance- what if you really cannot remember all the illnesses you have had when completeing the application form....?

(5 Posts)
willweeversell Fri 08-Aug-08 20:39:23

Am interested as would like to find a cheaper offer of life insurance but am concerned about how on earth I am supposed to remember every last little illness (unfortunately I have been a bit of a regular at the GP over recent years!) I've had and wouldn't want it to be invalidated if anything happens to me just because I forgot something. Can I ask them to write to the Gp instead of asking me as such?

annh Fri 08-Aug-08 21:55:48

Do you have to remember everything yourself? Any form regarding health I have ever filled in has presented a checklist of illnesses to which you have to respond yes or no. Most of them are things like heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc which are not likely to be things you forget. They're not interested in every cold, virus and eye infection you have ever had.

LadyMuck Fri 08-Aug-08 22:45:01

If you really can't remember then you could ask your gp for a copy of your medical records. You may have to pay for the copying. But you do have to give a full answer to any question.

MrsTittleMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 12:08:29

I would move heaven and earth to make sure that everything is on the form. There were a couple of cases last year where the form wasn't filled out 100% correctly, and the insurance company is well within their rights to pay out nothing - even if the condition has nothing to do with your eventual death.

willweeversell Sat 09-Aug-08 15:38:02

Thats exactly what I thought Mrs tittlemouse.
They expect a complete disclosure and on thr last form i filled out (about 6 years ago) DID want to know every single detail of my health history, not just the biggies. I think I will follow up any application with something in writing asking if they will ask the gp to send a sumary of all my attendances, I don't mind if I have to pay for that money well spent I would say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now