Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Argh - Just realised why the last mont or so has been so bloody tight!

(7 Posts)
Flmsprrw Fri 08-Aug-08 15:20:07

Turns out we have been paid no housing benefit since 19th June shockangry

I thought I was just managing money really badly.

I had a letter this morning to say my claim was cancelled due to lack of replies to letters. After 30 mins on hold I finally got through and they said no, they had had the paperwork, the departments just had a cross over. So I thought, oh that's fine then they aren't stopping them.

Then looked at bank stuff to try and work out why it was soooo bad, and found this! shock

I got bank charges last month and will do tomorrow too due to the lack of money in there and bills coming out. Can I ask for them to pay my £60 odd???

It isn't my fault. I have done everything right.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 08-Aug-08 15:21:24

I would tbh if it was me.

Flmsprrw Fri 08-Aug-08 15:25:07

It is a relief to know that I haven't been that bad tbh - was wondering how i'd frittered that much!

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Fri 08-Aug-08 15:26:31

i'd kick up a fuss. it's their mistake, no reason why you should have to pay for it.

Flmsprrw Fri 08-Aug-08 15:28:20

Bastards, they are saying it is automatically suspended until the paperwork is in - which it never is angry

TinkerBellesMum Fri 08-Aug-08 15:33:46

Mine was stopped because my rent went up hmm, fortunately it goes to my HA so I just had to live with the NSP's for awhile!

I would definitely complain and try to get a refund.

Flmsprrw Fri 08-Aug-08 15:34:59

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I had an extension to get the paperwork in. It said on the letter it had to be in by x date or benefits would be cancelled, if I couldn't manage it to call for an extension.

I had various illness etc, so they gave me an extension for a fortnight.

Woman today tells me that they "suspend" it from the original due in date (not cancel) until I get the papers in by the new date and they then bother to process them.

Information I could have done with when they gave me the extension because stupid me assumed that "we will cancel your benefits if it is not in by x date, call for an extension on...." meant that everything was extended!!!!

So, by the time the bastards at Barclays take £30 for the next 3 days (first lot of money due on Weds apparently), I will be back to square one as they will take everything that goes back in.

I understand why people don't bother to do anything with their lives and/or commit benefit fraud. All this is because I have declared my non-profit making (as yet) own business and they wanted every teeny scrap of paper to do with that for the last 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now