Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DD sent home from work after burn

(15 Posts)
ConstanceWearing Fri 08-Aug-08 15:16:20

Sorry, long and maybe odd question.

My DD has just started flipping burgers during summer holidays.

Two days ago, she burned herself on the chip fryer. Although she was able to wash the burn under cold water, it was a quick rinse, rather than adequate time for the burn to cool. Consequently, when she returned to the frying area the heat continued to make the burn smart.

Today, she went in and got burnt four times. She is now very nervous of this part of the job. She asked to be moved three times to a position she was more suited to, like tills or waiting tables,but was instead dismissed for the day for complaining.

I understand that she cannot be in charge of her boss. Also, there are people there who really like this part of the job and are very competent at it, so it would have been more than possible to swap her -even though I can understand that the bosses don't want my DD thinking she is running the joint.

Nevertheless, she was burnt, and had inadequate medical attention for those four burns she received today.

She came home in tears and is afraid of getting a verbal warning tomorrow. What do you think of this situation, oh wise MNers?

lou031205 Fri 08-Aug-08 15:45:17

Was she employed to flip burgers? If so, I would say that if she doesn't like burger flipping, she needs to hand in her notice.

It would be different if she became unable to do the role after being there some time & there was an alternative. But, if they were looking for a burger flipper, and she applied for the job of burger flipper, it isn't reasonable to then say "I don't like that, I want something else".

I couldn't walk into a job as a receptionist, get a call I didn't like, and then ask to be a secretary instead, if you see what I mean. Just because the employer has people operating in different roles, doesn't give your daughter a right to one of them.

lou031205 Fri 08-Aug-08 15:46:37

However, they should have documented her burns in the accident book and provided adequate first aid. If you are concerned, you should take her to your local minor injuries unit, and ask them to treat and document them.

ConstanceWearing Fri 08-Aug-08 16:03:16

Thanks for replying lou.

She wasn't employed for frying specifically. She works all over the joint, on tills, the drive-thru, drinks, frying chips, wiping tables, etc. So she is employed to do all these things, she is just very nervous of the chip fryer. And in all honesty her fine motor skills are cr*p and she has always been a clumsy poop grin She knocks everything over!

People were saying to her 'I'll do chips, I like doing chips. Ask to swap', but the boss lady sent her home when she asked (several times, ahem).

Also, her burns weren't put in the accident book, and I'm a bit annoyed they are not given protective garments or adequate medical care (ie 20mins of cold water or ice) when they recieve burns.

LilRedWG Fri 08-Aug-08 16:06:07

Tell her to pack in the job and help her find another. It's really not worth the stress just for a summer job.

hanaflower Fri 08-Aug-08 16:08:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConstanceWearing Fri 08-Aug-08 16:11:43

Thank you ladies. I know, it's just till she goes back to college.

She's trying to pay for her first holiday away from darling mummykins grin Going to Greece in 3 weeks and took the first job that offered a position.

I suppose this is a learning experience

misdee Fri 08-Aug-08 16:18:09

tbhm working i na kicthen you will get burnt. she needs to take a bit more time, make sure her birns are documented and run it under cold running water for 10mins. if the burn is bigger than 50p coin then she will need medical attention, but for little b8urnsm then she should be ok.

have worked in kitchens, hot food counters etc for many years, and my hands show the marks of those years.

you do end up being able to handle hot items at the end of it without much pain lol. and end up smelling of food.

lou031205 Fri 08-Aug-08 16:24:24

Sorry, obviously misunderstood - your OP stated that she had started flipping burgers. Not that it was just one aspect of her job.

I still think that unfortunately, in any job, there will be bits that you find harder and don't like as much, but you still have to do them. Imagine if everyone was able to choose not to do things. There would be carnage.

Your DD has two choices, I think. Get better at avoiding the burns, or quit. It will be up to her how much she needs the money. She might need to raise the issue of the accident book with her work though.

ConstanceWearing Fri 08-Aug-08 16:26:28

Thank you misdee. I think her problem is that she is quite unco-ordinated and she is very nervous, which makes her even more clumsy because she's snatching away from things instead of moving slowly and accurately. Take her time, as you say.

I suppose my natural tendency is to get annoyed when my DD gets her feelings hurt and her arms/hands burnt. But really she's just going to have to bite the bullet and hope they are a little understanding at work.

It's only three weeks, after all

morethan1 Sat 09-Aug-08 00:58:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crunchie Sat 09-Aug-08 01:09:58

I did a similar job but refused the burger flipping. I am a sad veggie and so I could do everything else, bar flip bugers. I was allowed or do tills only

PortAndLemon Sat 09-Aug-08 10:25:28

Employers have a legal responsibility regarding first aid provision and recording of accidents, though, morethan1. If the employers in this case are breaking the law then the OP has a right to be pissed off.

ConstanceWearing Sun 10-Aug-08 22:18:40

How the other half live?

I'm a lone parent with 6 children. I know how both halves live morethan1. FFS yourself.

ConstanceWearing Sun 10-Aug-08 22:20:32

Thank you very much to you other ladies. I appreciate your input.

They took her off chips

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: