Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone with experience of complaining to the Financial Ombudsman Service?

(10 Posts)
BeenRoyallyRippedOff Fri 08-Aug-08 07:42:55

I've just made a complaint to a bank that hasn't been upheld angry and have been given the option of taking the complaint to the next level at the FOS.

I'm really clear in my mind that I have been ripped off, and there's a lot of money at stake... but don't want to waste my energy and get my hopes up if the FOS don't investigate my complaint in detail.

Are they normally fair, or will they just always naturally find in favour of financial institutions?

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 08-Aug-08 07:51:56

The FOS follow rules, have you checked these so that you are sure you definately have a case?

BeenRoyallyRippedOff Fri 08-Aug-08 10:00:13

I assume so as the bank wrote back to us and said that if we wanted to appeal against their decision then it would have to go through the FOS. I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle...

mejon Fri 08-Aug-08 16:07:11

DH has just received a refund of a little over £4,000 in Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) he'd paid with a loan he'd taken out with his bank. The bank had originally rejected his complaint but we took it to the FOS and despite not having all the relevant paperwork, they upheld the complaint and the refund arrived last month. It is quite straightforward - you can fill in a form online but I think you have to print it off to post it. You've nothing to lose.

ajandjjmum Fri 08-Aug-08 16:21:58

We've just started a process with them, and so far, been very impressed with the help they have given.

They haven't ruled yet though - if it doesn't go my way, I might change my mind. grin

Nice to hear mejon!

katie3677 Sat 09-Aug-08 18:23:51

Do it, you have nothing to lose. Banks rarely pay up on customer complaints, and rely on the fact that you won't bother to take it any further. Usually calling their bluff ends with prompt payment. Make sure you send a copy of the letter to the bank as well, just to really put the wind up them. Good luck.
As an aside, I got about £2.5k out of 2 banks last year for unfair payment charges on overdrafts after taking it to the ombudsman.

mumthatworks Wed 20-Aug-08 20:42:08

Hi I used to work for various banks a few years ago doing their loss calculations for endowment policy complaints that had been upheld. In my experience the FOS are very independent and often the banks would initally reject the complaints but then they would be taken to the FOS and the FOS would make them reconsider them andxx make them pay out.....definitely worth a stamp!!!

x

mumthatworks Wed 20-Aug-08 20:42:11

Hi I used to work for various banks a few years ago doing their loss calculations for endowment policy complaints that had been upheld. In my experience the FOS are very independent and often the banks would initally reject the complaints but then they would be taken to the FOS and the FOS would make them reconsider them andxx make them pay out.....definitely worth a stamp!!!

x

mumthatworks Wed 20-Aug-08 20:42:27

x

mumthatworks Wed 20-Aug-08 20:42:36

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now