Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Central heating company has caused our carpet to be ruined....

(11 Posts)
pucca Thu 07-Aug-08 23:53:42

We needed a valve replacing on our boiler (had no hot water when heating off) so called out a local co to fix it, £91 and 5 mins later all was fixed, the guy came out on Tues, noticed today that the landing carpet is wet through, on closer inspection they guy has left a part out of the boiler (a washer) which has caused the boiler to leak water and my landing carpet and inside my airing cupboard is saturated sad our landing carpet, stairs carpet and 2 cupboards at top of stairs is all one piece, where will i stand on this now? it is completely his fault. It was not leaking before this at all.

Also noticed he has left some sort of cover type thing off the boiler which was just left on the floor <ARGH>.

Going to phone in morning, should they replace my carpet? what is the best thing to say?

Thanks smile

InvisiblePsychomumVowelThief Thu 07-Aug-08 23:58:54

can you prove it was them???

if so, you can put in a claim to them, and also ring your insurance co naming them as the fault, and see what they say.

PhyllidaPoisson Fri 08-Aug-08 00:01:53

take photos as evidence before the boiler company come back round.

pucca Fri 08-Aug-08 00:02:28

The washer (seal for the pipe) was on the floor, there is water dripping from the boiler.

This is where it gets daft, i haven't sorted out my contents insurance yet, our finished end of July and thought i could get a better deal than renewal but haven't got around to it yet blush

pucca Fri 08-Aug-08 00:03:53

My carpet is completely knackered, i feel like crying tbh. We only just scrapped together the money for the fix to boiler cannot afford new frigging carpet. The water logged carpet is all inside the cupboard and stretches out to the stairs.

pucca Fri 08-Aug-08 00:05:03

Well actually there are 2 drips coming from the boiler, i currently have a bucket underneath.

cthea Fri 08-Aug-08 00:05:07

Would a washer cause so much problem?

Put in a claim as that's what they pay insurance for.

pucca Fri 08-Aug-08 00:07:10

All i know is, there was a washer left on the floor underneath the boiler also this other grill type thing which was on the boiler which he has left off and it has never leaked before, so it must be down to him, i only noticed it tongiht as there is a huge soaking wet semi circle on my carpet.

cthea Fri 08-Aug-08 00:12:01

Sometimes when working with pipes if they've not been "disturbed" in years it can cause stuff to dislodge and start leaking. I'm no expert on the washer situation but could well be he replaced that washer with another and just left the old one lying about instead of throwing it away. Call and explain about the carpet. They will have professional insurance cover for situations just like this.

cthea Fri 08-Aug-08 20:13:07

How did it go?

pucca Fri 08-Aug-08 22:30:44

It was his fault, he came and fixed it, luckily it was clean water leaking, so i am going to see if the carpet dires out ok if it stains i shall be back onto them pronto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now