Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should i request charges back on credit card ?

(6 Posts)
fakeblonde Thu 07-Aug-08 14:19:45

I `ve been a little over my limit for prob a year and i`ve just noticed that every single month they have taken 12.00 out for goingt over and 16.00 a month for card protection ?
I pay by direct debit only the minimum so how can they do that ?

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 07-Aug-08 15:05:32

If you are over your limit, have you ever contacted them to resolve the issue? £12 is considered a fair charge for breaching the terms of a card/account.

As for the protection, either cancel it or continue with it if you can still afford to pay the card should the worse happen. You cant claim it back unless you were mis sold the policy.

fakeblonde Thu 07-Aug-08 15:13:55

No i never contavted them because i assumed that my direct debit would automatically pay the minimum amount and not leave it short.
Its because they charge me 12.00 a month that i go over and so it looks like its been happening for ages.
Also i never agreed to pay 16.00 a month for card protection !
Thats more than my payments !

wannaBe Thu 07-Aug-08 15:16:38

don't think you have a leg to stand on tbh. This has been going on for a year and you've only just noticed?

I would cancel the card protection but cc company are perfectly within their rights to charge for going over your limit.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 07-Aug-08 15:32:21

The direct debit may be set up to take the minimum payment, however if making the minimum payment only is still leaving you over your credit card limit they have the right to charge. After all they are a business and you are spending money that was not authorised.

Cancel the payment protection if you feel you dont need it and make the extra payment to put you back within your agree credit limit.

mybabysinthegarden Thu 07-Aug-08 15:41:38

I would just write to them-- I have done this a few times for being overdrawn/late cc payments and have had all or part of the charges refunded every time, despite it being entirely my fault. I think if you take the trouble to start a paper trail the banks often consider it less hassle to pay up than to start a dispute--particularly if you subtly imply you might have to take your business elsewhere if they don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now