Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Going self employed

(3 Posts)
bigspender30 Thu 07-Aug-08 12:59:51

Have been offered some freelance work on a self employed basis. The company I would be doing the work for are asking for my UTR. Whats that then? ( am a novice at all matters tax and self empolyed related). Please can someone explain what I need to do? I know it will probably involve self assessment and so I think i should phone the tax office-help?!

mascarpone Thu 07-Aug-08 13:26:02

UTR is Unique Tax Reference (or something along those lines). It's a ref number you get from the tax office when you go self employed. Ring the self employed helpline and tell them you want to become self employed. They then send you a letter with your number in. Also, when I did it, I was offered the opportunity to go on a course to learn about what you were required to do tax-wise as a self employed person and how to fill in the self assessment form. It was surprisingly useful!

bigspender30 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:47:36

cool! Thanks for that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: