Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Holidays earned whilst on maternity leave, should I get paid for all if leaving?

(5 Posts)
Dalrymps Thu 07-Aug-08 10:16:14

I was on maternity leave for a year, from the end of aug 2007 to end of dec 2007 I didn't earn holidays as had used them up before i started my mat leave. From jan 2008 to 25th aug 2008 I earned holidays. The last 3 months of my mat leave (june july and aug) were unpaid and classed as additional maternity leave (i think) and the 1st 9 months were paid statutory mat pay, I also got some extra in the 1st 12 weeks as had worked for the compnay for a while.

Anyway, I am not returning to the company to work as is too far away (moved house whilst pregnant) and have decided to be a sahm for a while.

My team leader said I had 221 hrs of holiday and did I want to take them on the end of my mat leave before I went back, I informed her I am not returning and she said she would inform hr of my holidays as I get paid for them and they will arrange a final payment for me.
I then got a message saying I had something like 140hrs holiday that I would get paid for and will get it in sept.
I then received a letter from hr saying the amount was 131hrs?!

What I want to know is, has the amount gone down because I only get paid for hols I earned whilst on paid mat pay and not for last 3 months?

Or am I supposed to get paid for all holidays regardless of when I earned them? Presumably I could have taken all the holidays on the end of my mat leave and then left thus getting paid for them so I don't really understand why I souldn't get paid for all of them?

Then there's the issue that hr have a completely different amount again.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

BrownSuga Thu 07-Aug-08 10:18:26

I resigned while on mat leave as well. You accrue holidays for the ordinary mat leave (6mths) only, not the add mat leave. So work out how many days you should have for 6mths. Alternatively, just tack them on to the end of your mat leave, then don't go back.

Dalrymps Thu 07-Aug-08 10:20:28

Yeah I wish I had just taken them at the end an then left but i've already told them i'm leaving now sad, looks like i'll get less money this way...

Fizzylemonade Thu 07-Aug-08 14:28:28

I returned to work part-time after mat leave so had (back then it was 6 months paid) accrued 6 months holiday at full rate and then because I took another 6 months unpaid leave but returned part time I only accrued holiday for the last 6 months at half the rate.

No-one told me this, was gutting.

Dalrymps Thu 07-Aug-08 14:50:13

What? thats so annoying, you must have been so dissapointed sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now