Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

scottish power fixed 2009

(5 Posts)
gem1981 Thu 07-Aug-08 08:42:26

hi
I switched to this rate last week.

Did anyone else do this ?

In your opinion was it the right thing to do?

I am just panicing because the rates i have locked in at are slightly higher (about £150.00 per year for gas and elec combined) than my current provider (Atlantic)

I am really confused about all this gas and elec stuff - it is making my brain ache!!!

derelicte Thu 07-Aug-08 08:43:58

Yes, I did it too.

It's going to be a gamble, isn't it? But it does look likely that fuel prices are going up considerably.

kittenloren Thu 07-Aug-08 11:59:37

I did it too, and definitely think it's the right thing to do - it just feels very odd to switch to a rate where you're paying more, doesn't it?

We've taken it as a cue to have a bit of an energy efficiency drive at home, making sure all light bulbs are low energy, sockets off at the wall when not in use, nothing left on stand-by, turned the hot water down another notch at the boiler, checking everything's running on eco-cycles where possible, all that kind of thing.

It'd be nice to think that I could save the 15% extra that we're going to be paying - certainly going to give it a try! wink

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 07-Aug-08 13:51:48

scary thing is I do all that already - don't see how else we can bring our energy costs down and I missed the boat on the capped rates...now terrified about costs next year!

kittenloren Thu 07-Aug-08 20:39:18

Do you get the Martin Lewis Moneysavingexpert.com newsletter GWTMH?

That's how I first heard about the possible wisdom of capping early - if not you can sign up for it here - on the right in the red box - you get an email through about once a week with sound and mostly very relevant advice, ad & spam-free - and there are the forums: Utilities boards here and particularly Moneysaving Old-style is great for a bit of back to basics belt-tightening. Of course I may be preaching to the converted...grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now