Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how much does everyone pay for gas/electricity?

(50 Posts)
SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:34:31

this can't be right.
i pay 50 direct debit for electricity and 50 for gas monthly, and not due to the recent price hike, been like this for at least 6 months.
should i complain?

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 04-Aug-08 22:36:04

£165 for electricity and average of £200 per month for oil

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:36:58

is that quarterly fivegomad?

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:37:23

i shoudl add we have a small 3 bedroomed house,

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 04-Aug-08 22:37:34

Monthly

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:38:10

omg!!! and i am complaining!

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 04-Aug-08 22:38:14

6 bedroomed farmhouse.

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:39:00

bloomin hell,
- that explains it then

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 22:40:17

my friend pays £69 for each so nearly £140 altogether. seems good to me. who are you with?

WendyWeber Mon 04-Aug-08 22:41:22

Ours is £70 for electricity & £55 for gas (very leaky 3-bed-plus-attic Vict mid-terrace)

We did get a bit of a rebate earlier this year, payments haven't changed since so I doubt we will next year hmm

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 04-Aug-08 22:41:40

We do also runa B&B but have tried really hard to cut costs, have changed the majority of our light bulbs to energy saving, obcious things like turning washing machine to 30, eco was on dishwasher, making absolutely sure that no lights are left on unncessecaily. When we moved in we inherited an oil fired AGA that does our water and cooking, that has been turned of since the end of March and will try not to use it until December when back from holiday, also unless we have guests in we are very mean with heating.

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:41:43

<< chokes>>
seems good?
Npower

WendyWeber Mon 04-Aug-08 22:42:40

What about leaving things on standby, 5? That uses an unexpectedly huge amount apparently...

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 22:46:22

Do you switch everything off at the plug? We only leave fridges, freezers and alarm clocks switched on at the plug.

Twinklemegan Mon 04-Aug-08 22:46:45

Three bedroom terrace with electric heating. £120 a month at the moment. We're paying off arrears incurred last winter in a draughty house using two storage heaters and one bedroom heater, wearing three of everything and freezing our nuts off. I'm dreading this winter - different house, same sub zero climate. sad

tweeni Mon 04-Aug-08 22:47:05

oh and the microwave cos i can't be bothered to keep resetting the time.

Aefondkiss Mon 04-Aug-08 22:47:06

yearly £650 (electricity) for tiny three bedroom house, no heating in the kitchen, living room (wood burner stove), bathroom, hall, or one of the bedrooms, electric storage heating that gets used in spare bedroom (winter only) and an oil heater for children's bedroom (winter nights only if really bitterly cold).

mamhaf Mon 04-Aug-08 22:49:39

£120 a month for both. We've just switched to capped rate with Scottish Power and the initial amount is going to be £115 a month - depends how much power we use.

It's a 4-bed 70s detached with cavity wall insulation, and we're out at work all day.

We're going to get one of those widgets which tell you how much you're consuming at any one time in the hope it'll inspire mass switching-off - esp with the dds who espouse environmental concern but leave everything turned on even when not in the room

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:50:28

we have gas central heating, but each heater has its own thermostat, whichis relaly annoying and although it has been turned off for ages the heater was on in ds room today - oddly -

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:51:06

a widget sounds a good idea.

SilkCutMama Mon 04-Aug-08 22:52:52

About £1500.00 a year for both

blithedance Mon 04-Aug-08 22:52:55

British Gas were mucking about with my electricity direct debits - it was stupidly low in winter, built up a big debt and then hiked to £94 per month in summer.

It is best to dig out your old bills and work out what the annual consumption in kWh is. Then put that into uswitch to see what the overall cost per year is. On that basis we are about £1300 a year for both gas and electric (pre- the latest price rises as I've just defected to Scottish Power). For an oldish 3 bedroom semi, that is. Slarty if you have an average house those figures don't seem unreasonable. I would rather the monthly amount stayed the same and averaged out over the year.

Warm knitted socks, anyone?

Twinklemegan Mon 04-Aug-08 22:54:58

We're supposed to be getting one of those widget thingies from Scottish Hydro because one of our storage heaters seems to be using nearly 20 units overnight when on low. That's terrifying - £30 a month just for one storage heater!

I'm not holding my breath though - they promised to send it over two months ago.

ilovemydog Mon 04-Aug-08 22:55:40

120.00 a month for both - 3 story Victorian.

But we are on the 2011 price fix which is higher.

SlartyBartFast Mon 04-Aug-08 22:55:42

i shoudl defect to scottish power i think.

well i hope i am average, seems extortionate and only going to increase.
have to find ways of keeping warm definately come winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now