Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Continuation of eeny's landlady saga

(33 Posts)
eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 11:50:51

Following on from me being irate that next door landlady was increasing my rent by £125 a month because I am training to be a childminder...

Last week we came home to find someone in our parking space twice. The second time we decided to mention it and asked them to move (this is our neighbours on the other side) - they then informed us that landlady had given them the space!

To be clear - it is included in our lease and WE PAY FOR IT. She didnt inform us that she was "giving" our space to someone else. We found out from them at 10 pm last Tuesday night.

She has truly gone off the deep end, acting very angry and irate towards us and now this. I honestly think she is off her rocker.

We are now trying to get out of our lease NOW and into a different house. I feel sick with worry. Honestly sick. Like I am going to be sick. I wrote a long email to the letting agents and it is now being dealt with by the general manager. If they release us from the lease I will be overjoyed BUT then I have to hope and pray we get the next house - i.e. pass a credit check etc before someone else snaps it up!

Please please please keep a good thought for us as I really need all the help I can get right now.

Thanks.
xxx

hanaflower Mon 04-Aug-08 11:52:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 12:10:41

thank you! You are 100% right she is not sticking to her side of the bargain - she told me last week she was doing us a FAVOUR by replacing the ancient boiler - um... we havent got hot water! That isnt a favour that is her obligation as a landlady! We do our bit by paying on time, looking after the house etc SHE HAS TO DO HER BIT.

God I honestly just feel sick with worry though. I dont know how I am going to get through the next couple of days.

Fizzylemonade Mon 04-Aug-08 15:35:31

Oh eenybeeny, power, however small just goes to some people's heads and they can use it to make your life hell. shock She is crazy.

I am glad you have involved the general manager to inform him of what has happened. I also hope you also told him how she checks how tidy your cupboards are.

Best of luck with finding somewhere new.

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 15:53:43

fizzy - I did! I wrote a massively long email to them detailing everything! I am still waiting to hear from the letting agents if they will release us from the lease! Thanks very much for your support it really helps!

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 15:55:22

Oh, eeny!

Shit!

I wish I could do something to help.

I hope they let you out of the lease.

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 16:41:34

its ok expat I know you and lots of other people would help if they could. You can help by praying to the Universe or God or Goddess or whatever, I am asking everything I can think of, karma, you name it, that we are released from this awful lease and get the new house we love so much.

I am STILL waiting for a phone call from the agents - will post again as soon as I hear from them! Surely they must let us out - I mean SHE has broken the lease! We have a right to look after and protect our own family!

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 17:23:21

OH MY GOD

I feel so sick I could just die.

I finally got the call. They are releasing us from the lease but they spoke to landlady about every point in my letter and she said I was lying over every single thing. I feel so sick. Yes I am getting what I want by getting out of the lease but I AM NOT LYING. I am a stupidly honest person and I AM NOT LYING. I feel ILL. I cant believe it. She has totally ruined my character. And they (agents) are saying they cant take sides but THEY ARE they are taking her side the woman on the phone kept putting HER POV forward as if I was being unreasonable. I just feel ill. Now we have to pray we get this other house, if we dont what in the hell will we do. I feel so sick.

Twiglett Mon 04-Aug-08 17:28:03

take a deep breath

she has not 'ruined your character' at all

estate agents are known for being dishonourable .. they get their money out of the landlady it is in their interest to profess to believe them .. your landlady has not gone round the neighbourhood saying anything about you

you are getting what you want

she has besmirched nothing .. instead you know that she is a deceitful and incompetent landlady ... you on the other hand are an honest and honourable tenant ..

she has no power over you

do not give her any

Nagapie Mon 04-Aug-08 17:33:17

If you are credit worthy/can afford the resnt and have the deposit there shouldn't be a reason why you wouldn't get the new house.

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 17:34:46

thank you. I feel emotionally as if I am sobbing but there are no tears. I cant believe this is happening to us.

Thank you thank you twiglett for your words of comfort. I just can not believe some people think so lowly of me that I would lie about all those things. It makes me feel sick to the heart.

I need to focus you are right we are getting what we want we are getting away from here so please please please pray that we get this other house - 2 hurdles we have to overcome, a credit check (we have dodgy credit, but its all 5 years old since then we have been making regular payments) and also that they will allow a CM to live/work there.

If we dont get this house we are turfed out of here with nowhere to go. I am so terrified. And I just feel ill. Oh god I am sorry. I will stop feeling sorry for myself. I am crying now I cant believe this is happening to me.

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 17:35:48

Who are letting the new place through? Have you explained to them that there may be some resentment from your current landlord? Is there anyone esle you can use for a reference?

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 17:38:21

my DH had a relapse of a lung disease 5 years ago and was out of work. That is why we had credit problems. It wasnt out of sheer irresponsibillity, not that it always is anyway!

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 17:39:27

the new place is let through the same agents who let the house I am in/leaving right now. So they know everything! They know that we have never been a day late on payment and they know the landlady appears to hate us.

lulumama Mon 04-Aug-08 17:42:15

the good thing is you are being released from your lease

don;t get so upset!

this woman is going to be out of your lives very soon...

people have enough going on in their own lives to not have time to really care that much what people say about others, so even if your landlady is going round saying stuff, no-one will particularly care or remember

please don;t stress. you are getting what you want!

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 17:43:53

thank you. I know I am too sensitive. My whole life I have lost it if someone is angry or hates me. I just cant cope well with it I dont by any means expect to be worshipped (!) just not hated. I find it so hard.

lulumama Mon 04-Aug-08 17:45:30

eeny, you need to understand that this is not personal, she would have done this to any tenants. you will come across people in life who will not be pleasant and will not be kind, and you need to be able to let it go. some people are just nasty, and it is not about you, but about them. it is all water under the bridge soon enough

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 17:45:43

Thereforee stop worrying. They can only pass on facts: and remember, they also want the fee from the new let. Remind them that they have a duty to be fair and accurate - if you have any suspician that they have passed on unfounded allegations, you will take it very seriously. The "referecne " can be from themsleves, ie that you have alwys paid on time and have accpeted - until this year - price increases without quibble.

If you really want the hassle (but honestly, why bother?), ask them to respond in writing to your e-mail detailing why they think that waht you said is not true.

But I really think you hould grin and bear it. Ignore the unfairness of the current situation and concnetrate on getting the new one. Don't let your current landlady sour any further your relationship with the letting agent - and in futre, make sure to keep your disitcance from the landlord/lady, espcially if there is a letting agent already involved to act as a buffer.

eenybeeny Mon 04-Aug-08 18:51:35

Thanks! I actually think I need some sort of help to get a thicker skin, lulu, you are right. I have always been too open to people and their opinions of me. I dont know why. Well if you want to get really deep I do know why, my Dad never dealt with me and I was constantly trying to get his approval. From a very very young age I was the peacemaker in a dysfunctional family.

Right - the lettings manager just phoned me and he was lovely very kind and nice and listened really well. He doesnt think it will be a problem getting the new house and he also said once things are settled with the new house and I am secure he would like to speak to me again because he has misgivings of working with the landlady again!!!!! He knows that she said everything I said is true but he still said that so he must believe me even a little, musnt he?

I am not going to celebrate yet - but hopefully I will be celebrating by Friday which is DS's 2nd birthday! And please continue to keep us in your thoughts I firmly believe that can help although I dont know how.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:53:04

Fingers crossed for you, eeny!

Upwind Tue 05-Aug-08 05:56:59

It is good that this seems to be sorted. As the others have said, don't take it to heart. Your landlady would have abused any tenants in this way.

I would see CAB just to confirm what your rights are. Make sure you are present when the agency does an exit inspection so your dishonest landlady has less of a chance to rip you off on your deposit.

And above all else you have been treated very badly by this woman. If you want to get the anger out of your system in a constructive way you could possibly take her to small claims court. She has not allowed you the quiet enjoyment of your home, which you have paid for.

Best of luck.

eenybeeny Tue 05-Aug-08 16:53:55

so far the landlady at new property is saying no childminding

I have asked the agents to go back to her and explain again that I will carry my own insurance etc and it does not affect her.

You'd think I was trying to run a prostitution ring or something!

kormachameleon Tue 05-Aug-08 17:01:16

eenybeeny Tue 05-Aug-08 17:03:55

its good advice but we arent getting our deposit back anyway, it was the only way she would agree to let us out of the lease early

I am so afraid the new lady wont accept us CMing.

kormachameleon Tue 05-Aug-08 17:08:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now