Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

At what level does working tax credit kick in

(12 Posts)
colette Thu 10-Feb-05 14:45:14

I am a sahm and dh is self employed as his profit is on a downward slide, and I am looking at options. At what level can you get working tax credit?He is thinking of moving into a completely different field and we are working out how we will manage whilst his income decreases even more and he is setting up a new business.
I have been on the inland revenue site but am unimpressed as it can't even calculate the child tax credit we are getting now
Have to go and get dd from school now. Will check later Thanks

Caligula Thu 10-Feb-05 14:48:18

Colette, the site is crap isn't it. But the helpline is a lot more accurate, and they are quite good at you giving them lots of options and doing all these different calculations for you. That might be your best bet, I think it's open until 8pm.

Caligula Thu 10-Feb-05 14:48:44

Sorry, meant to say, helpline number is on the site.

otto Thu 10-Feb-05 15:09:01

You can get it if your household income is less than 58,000. Agree that the website is crap. It never loads properly and even when it does it won't work it out. The helpline number is much better, but you'll need your national insurance number before they can help you. I think the allowance is tiered.

colette Thu 10-Feb-05 15:45:05

Thanks I will phone.

purpleturtle Thu 10-Feb-05 15:48:32

I think the working tax credit threshold is much lower than that - about £16-17,000. It's child tax credit that you can get if you earn up to £50,000+

otto Thu 10-Feb-05 15:49:56

I'm probably getting them mixed up. We get both, but not that much money!

colette Thu 10-Feb-05 15:57:56

Purpleturtle I wondered that I think dh is earning about £16000 now so it may be worth finding out, it is complicated because they are dealing with previous accounts.

otto Thu 10-Feb-05 16:00:28

Collete, my dp is self-employed too and they were happy to accept an estimate of his earnings as his accounts had not been audited when the claim was made.

colette Thu 10-Feb-05 16:11:10

Thanks otto, he has some more accounts soon so I will ask him for the figures and phone.

moschops Thu 10-Feb-05 19:58:36

they have accepted estimated accounts off us and we received a letter to say if we didn't supply accurate accounts and later realised we were entitled to more money we couldn't claim it retrospectively.

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 11:27:58

Try www.entitledto.co.uk. There's a calculator and it should tell you what you'll get in tax credits/working families tax credit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now