Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

welfare benefit officer in liverpool?

(13 Posts)
biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 14:16:34

im looking for one as i just rang DWP and i advsd about the Working Tax Credit (disability element) coz im deaf and rcvd DLA (Disability living allowance). A lady just said that i should've of been made aware when i started my full time job (june 2000) that this was available for me. She said it 3 times in a coversation and even my DP was listening in too (on speaker phone) so i said to lady "so its your fault then?" and she twisted the story and said "no, its not our fault as you didnt ring up and enquire about it" i said "but how can i enquire about it if i didnt know i was entitled to it!!!" so now gotta find a welfare benefit officer to help me

MummytoSteven Thu 10-Feb-05 17:45:45

maybe the citizen's advice would have a benefits specialist who could give you this type of info?

biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 18:44:12


biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 19:16:39


Hayls Thu 10-Feb-05 19:19:02

Aren't Tax Credits dealt with by Inland Revenue? Sorry, I could be totally mixed up but I knoow they have a helpline that you cuold try. Obvioiusly I haven't a clue what the number is but there is a good website
Good luck- make sure you ask for it to be backdated. I used to work for DWP many years ago so I'm bit rusty.

biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 19:28:01

yes tax credits are dealt with by I.R. and i called the helpline and the lady completely fobbed me off.

biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 20:22:13


biglips Thu 10-Feb-05 21:58:03

bumpity bump

misdee Thu 10-Feb-05 21:58:50

best try the CAB, and call the inland revenue in the morning as well.

irishbird Thu 10-Feb-05 22:33:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 11:39:25

Biglips - have you asked if you can appeal?

I was told I couldn't get a Maternity Grant as I applied too late. When I first applied for tax credits I was over the limit to be eligible for a maternity grant, but the initial amount I received was wrong and by the time they sorted out what I should be getting (which meant I was elibigle) I was too late to apply. I applied anyway and was refused, so appealed on the basis that if "they" had got my tax credits right in the first place I would have applied in time. My appeal was refused as there was no provision within the law to allow for a late application (whatever the reason) so I went to Tribunal. I figured I had nothing to lose and £500 to gain - and there was a principle at stake! The Tribunal also couldn't over-rule the decision but ordered that the DSS make an ex-gratia payment of £500. It was well worth persuing.

biglips Wed 16-Feb-05 11:14:02

well i went to the CAB and they advsd me that i may not a leg to stand on as they wont backdated that far (year 2000) so all i can do is write to the inland revenue complaint dept and see what happened from there... i have applied for maternity grant but ive applied for it too late so a fault of my own. all its down to is the inland revenue dont tell people what they are entitled to if you dont question about it, coz they dont want to pay out money !

biglips Wed 16-Feb-05 16:36:14


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: