Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone tell me about Solo?

(11 Posts)
toobusymum Thu 31-Jul-08 13:20:45

Dh and I went bankrupt 4 years ago with the collapse of our business. since then we have managed cash only finances, but it does work out more expensive for many things: for instance, we cannot shop onine, so we all put extras in the trolley at tescos, etc. We can't user ebay for buying or selling, you get the picture.

It now looks like we may have the opportunity to have a solo card. Waht exactly can I do with this, and what can't I do? Does anyone know?

Thanks smile

KelaH Thu 31-Jul-08 13:29:55

I think Solo is like Visa Electron, which I have - basically it can be used pretty much everywhere these days as it can only be used electronically. Also it absolutely won't be authorised if no funds, so no chance of going overdrawn accidentally, which is why I like it (major debt issues blush)

toobusymum Thu 31-Jul-08 13:40:07

Thanks Kela. That sounds pretty good. I am so looking forward to doing the shopping without have to drag 3dcs around Tesco! grin

Sunshinemummy Thu 31-Jul-08 13:47:25

KelaH is right - it will only let you draw against cleared funds but can be used in shops to pay for goods.

AvenaLife Thu 31-Jul-08 13:48:47

Have you checked whether Tesco online accepts Solo? There are alot of places that don't because a 16 year old can get one so they are not proof of age.

lou031205 Thu 31-Jul-08 13:50:40

You can get a basic bank account from the Co-op as a discharged bankrupt that will give you a Visa Electron card. You still can't use it online at Tesco, but Asda do accept it for online shopping, as does Sainsburys.

toobusymum Thu 31-Jul-08 18:26:33

I'm fine with only using it against cleared funds, as that's what we have been doing for years with cash! Dh rang Tesco and apparently they do accept Solo - if not, I have no supermarket loyalty especially to Tesco, I only shop there because all the others are too far away, but I know Sainsbury's deliver around here, as do Ocado.

maggymay Thu 31-Jul-08 20:24:44

solo cards are accepted at lots of places I have never had mine refused in any store and have been able to use it online on most sites

ChopsTheDuck Thu 31-Jul-08 20:31:28

dp has one. Very few places where he has t been able to use it - defo nowhere major Will ask him and let you know tomorrow.

notcitrus Sat 02-Aug-08 22:06:35

Train stations (Southern at least) won't take Solo or Electron. On the other hand they tend to have cashpoints in!

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 18:36:53

My local train station in Scotland won't take it either but nowhere else has ever refused it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now