Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Im really worried about keeping warm this winter!

(14 Posts)
DisenchantedPlusBump Wed 30-Jul-08 19:07:18

It sounds daft but we struggled last year, keeping jumpers on the kids constantly, only having heating on a few hours etc.

But with these rises and the fact I will have a newborn in December, Im going to have to keep it warmer

We live in a council house and we are waiting to have double glazing put it which would help ALOT as we currently have ROTTING wooden frames on the windows, Ive often gotten up in the night to shut the window only to find they ARE shut, they are just so crap that the wind blows through.

Another bloody thing to worry about.

Sorry, Im just rambling!

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 30-Jul-08 20:13:32

have you got loft insulation? makes a huge difference

are the council puting in the DG? maybe you could let them know there will be a newborn in the house by the winter to see if you can be given priority? don't know how these things work but has to be worth a try?

drape heavy blankets over the windows as well. I know it looks crappy but it can make a big difference on a cold night

and don't they say that heating on low but constant is as good as one-off on high or something... how have you been doing it?

gillybean2 Wed 30-Jul-08 22:42:15

New borns managed fine in years gone by when there was even less heating. You just have to be well prepared. Keep one room warm. Use blankets, towels, whatever to block out drafts around windows and doors and keep internal doors shut to keep teh warmth in teh one room. Use lots of layers, have a blanket to sit under on the sofa etc. Get masking tape to cover the worst of any cracks in the windows and some of that plastic film stuff to act as temporary double glazing. Get some lining for the curtains or a blind to go between the curtain and the window.

My ds and I used to sleep in the same room when I could only afford to heat the one room. Hot water bottles, wearing jumpers and socks in bed, pile as many blankets and duvets on the bed as possible.

Most importantly nag the council into getting the windows sorted. Made such a huge difference to me when the rotting and ill fitting back door was fixed in my house.

gillybean2 Wed 30-Jul-08 22:44:58

Oh yes, when it's too cold to stay in during the day get yourself to the local shopping centre or library. We had to escape the cold one time when there was a power cut overnight and my only heating is storage heaters which have to charge up overnight. So we had no heat all day until they started to warm up at 2pm the next night and no electric to warm up hot water bottles etc!

cheesesarnie Wed 30-Jul-08 22:47:59

we live in a house with no heating(sorry we have a rayburn but doesnt work,landlord wont fix,doesnt heat water or any radiaters etc just one room even when it does work).when ds2 was born(hes only one born whilst living here)we just coped.adapted his clothing.when he was few months we started co sleeping to keep warm.its far from perfect but if it comes to it you will cope.
but am shocked that your council and theyre happy for you to go on like it.weve just been moved up a couple of bands due to damp and lack of heating.not that were having any luck!we apply for houses every fortnight,no luck each time.

nancy75 Wed 30-Jul-08 22:48:43

agree, start nagging the council now about the windows, dont wait until it starts getting cold, i would phone all the time and if they dont help get on to local mp/newspaper

Tinker Wed 30-Jul-08 22:49:55

Couldn't you, sort of "break" the window somehow? Force the replacement of it? I know it's wrong but, I think, in your case, I'd be tempted...

LynetteScavo Wed 30-Jul-08 22:51:26

The double glazing will make a huge difference. I have had arguments on Mumsnet before about hats on babies, but with my first born, we live in an old haous with no double glazing, and I jsut kept a hat on him, night and day. He was fine. smile

We didn't have central heating or double glazing as a child (and my parents were posh grin) I did suffer chill-blaines, though! Go to as many free sure-start or toddler things you can.

nancy75 Wed 30-Jul-08 22:59:56

if you break the window they will just replace the glass, and probably take ages doing it.

cheesesarnie Wed 30-Jul-08 23:00:20

oh like tinkers idea.

cheesesarnie Wed 30-Jul-08 23:00:31

oh

Tinker Wed 30-Jul-08 23:03:26

I was thinking of the "rotting" wooden frames being "nudged" along...

beckykj Thu 31-Jul-08 10:01:03

We lived in a council flat like this when my dd was born, we had old rotting windows and no heating, the bedroom as freezing, we kept her in the same room all the time, and adjusted clothes/blankets ect. We nagged and nagged and they finally fitted ch a year after she was born and double glazed it last summer.

cheesesarnie Thu 31-Jul-08 11:03:59

heres me thinkinng were going to be better off in a council housesad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now