Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Am really embarrassed about my money squandering and am confused about benefits

(9 Posts)
Dreadfulwoman Mon 28-Jul-08 21:34:38

I received some money from a deceased relative, and despite most of it going on settling debts and leaving just short of £5k it meant I was no longer able to qualify for housing benefit, which is bad because our rent is £900 pcm. Instead of saving it carefully like I should have done I got the car serviced for the first time in five years, got us a new sofa and arm chair, and a computer, and some clothes, and the money is all gone bar £1000. We are able to borrow some money to tide us over until September when a little money will be coming in, but I feel like such a bad person, A tiny bit of me says that it was nice to be able to spend some money on dd and myself for the first time, and you could die tomorrow. We didn't have a computer or a sofa and arm chair, and couldn't afford to get the car serviced, and dd needed some clothes, but I took us to the theatre too, and took her to see her dad a few times (at £65 a pop), so some of it feels very very squandered. I've never inherited before and I'll never inherit again, am I a bad person?

Hassled Mon 28-Jul-08 21:38:41

Not at all. And I'm sure the deceased relative would be absolutely delighted with your choices. The theatre is educational for your DD, seeing her father has to be important for your DD, leaving a car unserviced is downright dangerous and it sounds to me like your choices were all spot on. You did well.

NorthernLurker Mon 28-Jul-08 21:42:06

Now it's spent won't you qualify for housing benefit again? I don't think you should feeel bad. You and your dd have some nice and useful things that will last years and getting the car serviced has probably saved you money in the long run. The theatre and the visits are lovely things to do. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Dreadfulwoman Mon 28-Jul-08 21:42:47

Thanks Hasssled-it has been so nice to be able to say "go on then, just this once" to dd every so often, and felt so lovely, at the time! The confused about benefits bit was will I ever be able to claim again, as obviously I have no savings, but their savings calculator said I was over the £6k threshold. Do I wait six months until they say the savings have been used up on rent?

Dreadfulwoman Mon 28-Jul-08 21:44:42

And thanks Northern, I cross posted with you! I bought an ice cream maker-that was by far the best investment-three hours entertainment per use for dd!!

NorthernLurker Mon 28-Jul-08 22:02:12

oooh an ice cream maker - how fab smile

TheProvincialLady Mon 28-Jul-08 22:07:57

I don't get it - if you had significant debts then you didn't have significant savings, did you? It's not like you had the money in the bank. Is there any chance of an appeal? Contact them and also contact the CAB for their advice. They may be able to help you claim.

TBH I am not very impressed with your squandering. Getting the car serviced? Take DD to see her father? These are far too sensible FGS! I could have squandered the money much better - perfume, meals out, bottles of wine. I don't think you have anything to feel bad about and even if you had squandered the money, it's done now and you just have to move forward.

fiodyl Tue 29-Jul-08 08:18:18

You shouls reapply for Housing Benefit ASAP. If you have savings under £6k they wont make any difference.
If they do question where the money went do yo have all the paper work for the debts you paid off?

Dreadfulwoman Tue 29-Jul-08 10:20:55

Thank you all so much. I do have all the paperwork-it's all shown on my bank statements too. Thank you all so much-I feel so much better-I've been so addled with it all I was in bed my 10pm yesterday! Sorry! You are all so lovely xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now