Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Was quite shocked by this - is it normal?

(8 Posts)
DorrisMcWhirter Mon 28-Jul-08 19:36:05

DH has just rung our mortgage company and loan company to swap the direct debits from his account to mine. Neither of them wanted to speak to me to confirm this was what I wanted to happen.
Obviously he had my card number, but I couldn't help being a bit hmm. Shouldn't they at least have asked me to say 'Yes, it's ok, he hasn't just nicked my card after a nasty break up and is running up my bills....'
How strange.

ConnorTraceptive Mon 28-Jul-08 19:49:25

They should send you a direct debit form to sign your bank won't allow the money to leave without it

DorrisMcWhirter Mon 28-Jul-08 19:51:14

That would be better, but neither mentioned it, even after we questioned them!
(Love the name btw Connor!)

nervousal Mon 28-Jul-08 19:53:11

surely it should be your bank who questions any new direct debit?

littleducks Mon 28-Jul-08 19:53:52

i neversigned forms, had lettters confirming set up

DorrisMcWhirter Mon 28-Jul-08 19:54:05

True. Will wait to see if everything just disappears from my account or if anyone asks if this is ok.
It's an odd world!

whatdayisit Mon 28-Jul-08 20:09:27

The mortgage company indemnifies the banks, so that any DD taken without the correct authority is refunded by the mortgage company.

If your DH was up to no good, as soon as you noticed, you would tell the bank, the bank would refund you and the mortage company is obliged to refund the bank. Some DD originators take the chance of the odd fraud having to be refunded, to avoid the admin/paperwork. There is no risk to you though.

DorrisMcWhirter Mon 28-Jul-08 20:30:31

Ahh, that makes sense!
I hasten to add, he's done this completely with my authority to do so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now