Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Swatch are refusing to replace my watch. Do I write to them, or call. Can anyone help me with what to say?

(9 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 28-Jul-08 11:22:15

I have had swatch watches for as long as I can remeber. Theyre pretty disposable and since 2003 I havent had to buy a new one because they always fall apart before the guarantee runs out and they have replaced it in the local swatch store.

However this store has now closed, so when this one literally dropped off my arm after Id put in on one morning, I sent it to their customer service centre with the guarantee, receipt and a letter.

They have now returned it saying they wont replace for accidental damaged. IMO it hasnt been damaged it just boke and I want a replacement.
So do I call them, or write a letter back.

Any help with this would be great TIA {smile]

Earlybird Mon 28-Jul-08 12:25:30

How many replacement watches have you had since 2003?
How old is your current watch, and how much time is there left on the guarantee?
And finally, what would it cost to buy a new watch like the one that broke?

mosschops30 Mon 28-Jul-08 13:57:03

earlybird, ive had about 3 replacement watches since 2003, but they dont know that.

The guarantee runs out in November.

A replacement watch would be about £35

mosschops30 Mon 28-Jul-08 18:47:06

bump

hana Mon 28-Jul-08 18:57:04

maybe they've heard of you!

I wouldn't replace for accidental dammage either. seems you've done pretty well out of them for the past 5 years

mosschops30 Tue 29-Jul-08 10:00:05

but it wasnt damaged accidentally, it literally fell apart!!!

Earlybird Tue 29-Jul-08 19:55:53

Watch definitely shouldn't have fallen apart during guarantee period, but feel you have more than got your money's worth from the company.

I'd leave it - and in future, either go easier on the watches, or get something more robust.

fizzbuzz Tue 29-Jul-08 20:59:00

Contact Consumer Rights, they'll tell you what to do.

However your contract was with the retailer and not Swatch. If the retailer has gone out of business I'm not sure you can do a lot.

mosschops30 Thu 31-Jul-08 11:08:58

no i bought it from a swatch shop.

I have spoken to them on the phone and they asked me to send it back (again) so I have with a letter expressing my dissapointment and that as a valued customer I expect a replacement or discount off a new watch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now