Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Insurance for horse riding

(8 Posts)
SueW Sun 27-Jul-08 12:45:34

DD (11yo) loves horse riding.

At the moment we don't have any insurance for her - she rides at a BHS aprroved riding school, doesn't go off the premises. Recently someone mentioned (again) the notice in the office suggesting riders take out insurance.

I've been looking at BHS and Pony Club. Is that how people would normally get their insurance for horse riding? Presumably the reason we might want this is to cover any increased costs of looking after her if she should have a serious accident?

kormachameleon Sun 27-Jul-08 12:48:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oxocube Sun 27-Jul-08 12:56:49

DD (10) rides and so do lots of her friends. I don't think any of them have a separate insurance policy, but in Holland, it is compulsory to have private health insurance anyway, so maybe this would cover any treatment.

hopefully Sun 27-Jul-08 16:56:39

Have you checked what insurance the riding school have? BHS approval (I think) relies partly on certain insurance levels, so you may as well make sure you're not covering your daughter twice for anything.

SueW Sun 27-Jul-08 18:07:03

Thanks for replies. I'll have a look at the suggestions.

NomDePlume Sun 27-Jul-08 18:16:27

The BHS riding school my DD uses have full public liability cover, which should cover anything that happens (and any aftercare) should DD have an accident whiclst on the premises. There has been no talk or suggestion of additional insurance.

boo70 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:25:18

Have a look here www.pet-insurance4you.co.uk/horse-insurance/you can get rider insurance quotes.

SueW Mon 28-Jul-08 20:08:39

Thanks boo but DD/we do not own a horse - she merely rides at a school. Once a week term time but 4-5 times a week during the holidays if we're not doing anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now