Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

card cloned any body had experience of this?

(7 Posts)
anastasia74 Sat 26-Jul-08 10:31:29

Hi,
I found out yesterday that there have been withdrawals from my account, not by me angry- £90 altogether. Went into bank to report it. I rang my friend and when she checked there was also withdrawals not made by her- we went shopping last week and used our cards at the same time at this particular machine to get cash. Does anyone know how long it will take for us to get our cash back from the bank?

Ivegotaheadache Sat 26-Jul-08 11:38:26

This happened to me a few years ago. I can't remamber exactly how long it took but I think it was about month because I remember calling the bank and giving off as I had no money.

My account was totally cleared out and the fraudsters kept using the cloned card and the bank kept giving them the money even though there was no more money in my account (funny how I couldn't do this, as soon as funds run out card is declined) so I had loads of charges which were refunded.

And they said I didn't need to close my account they put a stop on the card and issued me with a new card with a new number, but the old cloned card was still being used and the bank allowed it. So in the end I closed that account.

Just keep calling them to see what is happening.

anastasia74 Sat 26-Jul-08 15:37:24

ok, thanks I will, I think a month is an unreasonable amount of time to wait though.

SofiaAmes Sat 26-Jul-08 16:06:06

I had this happen to me some years ago with my Barclays account. They took 1000's out. Barclays were so rubbish dealing with it that I ended up moving to Royal Bank of Scotland. The girl at the bank and filled in the forms incorrectly and never put a stop on the card, so money kept coming out. They made me go in person to my local police station to make a report and then when they realized that they had done the forms incorrectly, they wanted me to go back to the police station. I refused. Luckily I had the names of every person I had dealt with and copies of all the forms. I had to keep going in there every day until they put the money back into my account. It only took a week or so in the end, but if I hadn't insisted on speaking to the supervisor's supervisor, it would have taken weeks or months. It didn't help that the cloning had happened on our honeymoon in Vietnam and I got pregnant on the honeymoon (after having been told that dh had no sperm), so I was vomiting violently through most of the bank visits. I think in the end they just wanted me out of there (ANGRY CRAZY VOMITING PREGNANT JEWISH ITALIAN AMERICAN) You need to make sure you speak to their fraud department, I think.

MatNanPlus Sat 26-Jul-08 16:09:27

Happened to me in May, a debit to a company in USA via my card, i called the bank (LTSB) fraud line, they cancelled the card, issued a new one - which arrived in 4 days and refunded the money by day 8 and are investigating.

2 yrs ago a debit for TGI's locally but not a place we have ever been , agian very quick refund and investigation.

anastasia74 Sat 26-Jul-08 17:38:18

I've just been looking into how it could have been done. Apparently they use a wireless gadget thats connected to a false section on the card insert part, which they fit. Also there would be a leaflet holder or credit card holder at the side -which there was in my case with a tiny camera to film the pin as its punched in. Am I going to be sooo careful from how on. People beware!!!

MatNanPlus Sat 26-Jul-08 17:40:03

i always cover the key pad with my free hand as i press the buttons.

As the card details without the pin aren't nearly as worth while it seems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now