Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

so how bad is a ccj? is it the end of the world?

(11 Posts)
kerryk Fri 25-Jul-08 12:21:26

dont want to go into to much detail. stupid mistake i made years ago, coming back to haunt me etc.

papers have been passed to the solicaters (from the debt collection company) by the time it is sent back to the debt collecter then to me then back to them (think this is right) i will have 21 days to pay the debt.

10th sept at the earliest but if i am lucky it may be nearer the end of sept.

i MIGHT be able to get the money together, would possibly mean asking my parents for a loan for a couple of months.

if i managed to even pay half it would that delay the court procedings?

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 25-Jul-08 12:22:16

a ccj is bad.

HumphreySmallPillow Fri 25-Jul-08 12:24:02

phone the debt collection agency.
deal with it head on.
offer to pay what you can, and set up a payment schedule for the rest. smile

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 12:24:22

If you can come up with a realistic repayment plan then you can still avoid it . have you been to CAB ?

kerryk Fri 25-Jul-08 12:25:42

phoned debt collection comapny and it is now out there hands as has been passed over.

not been to cab or called them. could this make a diffrence?

kerryk Fri 25-Jul-08 12:28:01

my parents would lend me the money (certain of this) but i would rather pick my fingernails of than admit to this.

debt is years old and i dont want to drag up old ground, i would have to lie and say i have a huge gas bill or something and its not fair to take there money and not tell them what its for.

on the other hand i could pay it back over a few months and that would avoid court action aarrrgghhhhh

mazzystar Fri 25-Jul-08 12:28:38

pay what you can as soon as you can
it will show willing
it is not the end of the world if you get one , you can still pay it and have it cancelled, but much more faff and think may still show on credit record for a while

kerryk Fri 25-Jul-08 12:30:13

is there a set minimum ammount of debt needed to get a ccj? or can it be for any sum of money? wondering if i could even get below the limit if there wass one.

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 12:32:09

Isn't extra added on to any debt for a CCJ?

I would pay it if poss - try contacting CAB or these people for advice

www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 12:32:13

CAB can negotiate with the company and help you draft the relevant letters , perhaps even stop it getting as far as court but you have to be able to keep up the repayments as the consequences of not doing so could make matters worse if it comes back to court proceedings. They can also help you look at your budget to come up with a realistic amount to repay.

kerryk Fri 25-Jul-08 12:35:00

effie i was told that £44 was added on just now, not sure about any extra if the ccj goes through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now