Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What would happen if I just abandoned my bank account, com plete with overdraft?T

(11 Posts)
DisenchantedPlusBump Thu 24-Jul-08 13:44:43

They are bastards, they charged DH £95 for going over the other day and ive just gone £2.60 over dispite a mad rush to the bank yesterday and putting a tenner in

They will charge me £40

I haven't got it,

im so fed up with money troubles

fluffyanimal Thu 24-Jul-08 13:50:03

Disenchanted, you can ask for a refund of charges. See this site here:
And if you do want to change your bank, the main site also has advice about the best bank accounts.

DisenchantedPlusBump Thu 24-Jul-08 13:55:49

Had to increase my overdraft

Will just decrease it again tomorrow once my money goes in.


Thanks for the link will read through it x

Kewcumber Thu 24-Jul-08 14:05:25

they will sue you for the money and you;ll be in worse trouble. Better to sort it out and change banks.

fiodyl Thu 24-Jul-08 18:34:27

They wont sue you, if you refuse to pay it long enough they will just close the account and sell te debt to a DCA who will chase you for it and ad their own charges, but I doubt they would be theat interested for just £40.

Ivegotaheadache Fri 25-Jul-08 23:58:15

Don't just abandon it because they will find you.
What I would do is open another bank account and get all your money like wages to go into the new account and when that's in place tell arrange to pay back a sum every month until it is cleared.
Only give them what you can afford -it could be £5 per month, but if you come to an agreement you must keep paying them.

That's what I'd do, but haven't a clue whether it's legal to do that when you have an overdraft!

charliecat Sat 26-Jul-08 00:00:12

the charges will continue and they will chase you.

cluelessnchaos Sat 26-Jul-08 00:03:35

Ask for the money back it worked for me.

ScottishMummy Sat 26-Jul-08 00:03:38

you get a dreadful credit history.potentially affect ability to get credit/mortgage/other banking

ravenAK Sat 26-Jul-08 00:06:48

You can claim the charges back (they are unlawful). We got £900 back off Llyods TSB.

It's all on hold pending a test case, but advice is to get your claim in ready for when judgment is made. It's easy to do - template letters on site.

Ivegotaheadache Sat 26-Jul-08 00:30:39

You can try for the charges back, but that won't help you get out of the overdraft, because you'll still be using that account and may end up worse off if the bank keep putting charges on. This will just keep on increasing your debt.

Open another account get all your wages and child tax credit and child benefit put into the new account and then (only then) tell the bank you're currently with that you want to pay off your overdraft, offer what you can afford don't be pushed into giving them more than you're able. Start low and then you can look to increase itt after a while.

But keep paying them, it may take a long while, but it will stop ccj's or bailiffs or whatever and you'll be able to manage your finaces a bit better once you know where you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: