Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My washing machine's bearings have gone, its 17 months old, where do I stand?

(18 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Tue 22-Jul-08 23:33:44

I am so pissed off, as its only 17 months old. I brought a Hotpoint thinking it would last longer than the 3 years my last one lasted for!! angry

I stupidly didn't extend the quaratte (sp?) but surely a £400 machine should last longer than 17 months?? Can I quote anything tomorrow when I phone them??

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 23:35:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SparklyGothKat Tue 22-Jul-08 23:36:46

My dad's cataloge. I thought there was some thing that said things have to last a certain length of time or it is unfit for purpose, am I right?

SparklyGothKat Tue 22-Jul-08 23:38:43

I do get free parts replacements for 5 years, but will have to pay for labour, and my dad thinks they will stretch it out for 2 hours, and thats £150!!!

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 22-Jul-08 23:41:37

if you were in north I would send DH to do the labour for you smile

I am not sure where you stand, but can you get local to fit bearings (it really isn't that big a job) with an agreed price for the fitting?

SparklyGothKat Tue 22-Jul-08 23:43:37

aww thanks but am in the south!!

I am really pissed off, just did a search on my last thread about my last washing machine and that one was 2 years old!! Washing Machines don't like me!!!

PavlovtheCat Tue 22-Jul-08 23:59:23

Sale of Goods Act

I spoke to consumer bureau (consumer arm of trading standards) who said to me that white goods have an approx expected reasonable use time of around 3 years.

You might not be able to get all money back but you will be entitled to some cost towards another one/repair costs for this one.

Give the consumer bureau a call too, they are quite helpful, I have found.

SparklyGothKat Wed 23-Jul-08 00:02:03

ok so do I go back to Great Universal or should my dad? (as its his account) I just want it repaired.

solo Wed 23-Jul-08 00:10:14

When the bearings went on my machine(20+years old)I asked about a repair and was told by an independant repair man that it is not worth repairing when bearings have gone as the action(vibration, stresses etc)of that breakdown makes other things weak and will likely break down with other things quite quickly. I loved that machine and they don't make 'em like that anymore

Califrau Wed 23-Jul-08 00:39:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 23-Jul-08 00:40:12

solo - I think he may have been talking bs - older machines (10-15+) are worth keeping hold of as they really don't make 'em like that any more

solo Wed 23-Jul-08 10:32:31

No, I do trust what he said as he had repaired my friends washing machine several times and was always up front. I'm quite sure he was being truthful about it.

Washersaurus Wed 23-Jul-08 11:19:49

Contact the catalogue stating Sale of goods Act etc and they should arrange a replacement machine for you. Don't give up until you have a new one from them!

SparklyGothKat Wed 23-Jul-08 15:36:15

I ended up contacting the cataloge, they wanted a report saying it was a fault. Phone hotpoint and for £150 spread over 10 months, would cover the repair and give me 1 years warranty. I did that because I need my machine fixed.

Washersaurus Wed 23-Jul-08 15:40:59

When I complained about my ever so faulty Hoover machine they arranged for the engineer to come out and assess the fault and make a report, for which I wasn't charged. TBH I wouldn't be willing to pay anything for a machine that was faulty after such a short period of time.

SparklyGothKat Wed 23-Jul-08 15:44:35

I know, but TBH, I couldn't be dealing with it and I need my machine fixed and I can't afford a new one atm. I did quote the 'sale act' and got nowhere.. angry

Washersaurus Wed 23-Jul-08 15:52:01

Well actually, if I were you I would follow it up with a letter complaining and see if they will waive the fee for you. Try this template letter

It has got to be worth a try. It seems so unfair that you have to pay again for an item that should last longer.

SparklyGothKat Wed 23-Jul-08 15:54:10

I will be making a complaint to Hotpoint. I am angry that I have to pay out again but I need my washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now