Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Surely its wrong for a council run swimming pool to ban people from giving others one to one swimming lessons

(6 Posts)
Wills Tue 22-Jul-08 23:17:01

We only have two council owned swimming pools - the rest are owned by schools and pretty much inaccessible. My friend is a known swimming tutor. She has been privately teaching my 4 year old to swim. She's fantastic by the way! Today the swimming pool manager told her to stop or she would be banned. I do pay my friend as I think its wrong not to - does this mean that my friend can no longer teach my daughter?

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 23:20:43

Is there an insurance/public liability issue here? Or are the pool managers annoyed that your friend is using their pool as her business premises (which might be how they see it) without agreeing it with them first? Do they run their own classes - are they trying to maintain their monopoly?

Or none of the above?

themoon66 Tue 22-Jul-08 23:29:48

I'd be cross. I've taught quite a few adult friends to swim during normal public opening times.

Never ever been told off.

Wills Tue 22-Jul-08 23:30:57

They are trying to maintain their monopoly. She has her own insurance so that can't be the issue. They do run their own lessons (but they're crap). Is it legal for them to do this simply to maintain their own monopoly when its a public simming pool?

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 23:48:22

I'm not a lawyer, but I guess that the 'public' part of 'public swimming pool' means that the public are free to come in for general recreational swimming. I don't think it necessarily means that swimming teachers can use it as their teaching space.

I know (unless your friend has other pupils) we are only talking about one-to-one sessions with one pupil, but I think there could be legal difficulties about anyone using the pool (or any other public building) to run a commercial business. I'm trying to think of a parallel - I would expect the local library manager (for argument's sake) to give me very short shrift if decided to run a private tutoring service in the library so that we could use their book stock.

Hope a lawyer comes along soon ...

gigglewitch Wed 23-Jul-08 00:04:36

I am also a PE/swimming teacher - I think the crunch of it is whether she is paid to teach your child or not, and i don't mean that you just pay for her admission to the pool. Not that I disagree with your principle of paying her as she is doing a fantastic job by the sound of it.
As i am an ASA teacher and qualified PE teacher etc, I take my children and friends' children swimming - twice a week atm grin whilst it is summer holiday, and yes i do teach them whilst we are there. (but unlike your friend i haven't been 'discovered' yet) As I see it, I am paying to enter the pool as a facility, and likewise my children, and as such they would have a hard job stopping me without it being classed as discriminating. I am not paid for teaching friends' children though. We tend to exchange all sorts of help with each other rather than entering this kind of agreement - although i have accepted "expenses" type where a friend pays for us to get in wink as I'm taking her kids in the water. Having said that, she's usually got my youngest instead!!
Two suggestions for you - if possible can you get to another pool where your friend is less well known; or alternatively can you turn it into a 'group outing' where a bunch of you get together and all of you and children go in, even if the primary reason is that your friend teaches x child to swim?
It is such a shame that the pool management are being so jobsworth-y about it all. Take anything i say with a pinch of salt if you need to as i'm a mere teacher and not a law person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now