Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maybe a silly question........do I have to tell IS...............

(13 Posts)
FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 13:17:01

if someone is paying me back some money they owe me on a monthly basis?

I paid for a shared holiday out of my account and friend is going to be paying me back monthly from next month (probably £20/30 a month)

Do I need to tell IS - will they regard it as "extra" income??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 22-Jul-08 16:40:24

Can't see why this would be a problem. It's not income, it's money you already "own".

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 17:04:28

thanks OLKN - that's sort of what I thought - but friend is going to be setting up a standing order to pay the money back and I didn't know as it would be a regular payment into my account whether they'd question it......

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 22-Jul-08 17:09:57

Do IS want to see your bank statements these days? shock

If they do query it, have you a written agreement with your friend re the repayments? (You should do this, if you haven't.) Showing that should settle it.

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 18:11:39

yeah they do - (well they wanted to see mine.......)

Will get a written agreement with my friend when I see her next(she's paid a little back to me already, but we've agreed the bulk will be after the holiday so she has spending money for while we'rethere grin)

Hecate Tue 22-Jul-08 18:15:49

I think you were supposed to declare money you are owed when you applied for IS - or had you not loaned it to her then?

You can check with these people perhaps?

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 18:17:48

hadn't loaned it to her then.....

also had my "review" last week and she ran through the list of things I had to inform them of in change of circumstances - and money that I'd loaned anyone wasn't mentioned......

Hecate Tue 22-Jul-08 18:20:38

Your review? Did you have to jump through a hoop of fire on a unicycle. (Feels like it, doesn't it!)

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 18:22:03

no wasn't too bad actually - main thing they wanted to know was whether I had reconciled with my husband, or whether I was going to.....

ermm absolutely NOT grin

Also they were running 25 minutes late and I made it very clear that I had to pick DS1 up from school just 20 minutes after I went in - so she kept it short and sweet.

Hecate Tue 22-Jul-08 19:06:29

Only 25 minutes? Wow! I'm impressed! grin

So how are you doing anyway? Feeling any better?

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 19:07:45

yes feeling much better thanks grin -

re the 25 minutes - well I did tell her I WAS going to leave at 3.10 as I had childcare issues grin

Hecate Tue 22-Jul-08 19:10:32

I'm glad you're feeling better. smile

Oh bugger. ds1 is yelling something about ds2 hurting his feelings and ds2 is yelping "don't you hit me don't you hit me". <sigh> best go see what's up.

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 19:11:30

lol - my DS's are in the process of trying to kill each other while waiting for my DP to turn up so we can have a BBQ (yes I know it's late - but I don't care grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now